Originally Posted By: Alex
Holly wars, huh?

IMO, Mac is for glamour dummies (sorry, no offense). Single button mouse. Single menu. Single way to do things. Very restrictive on what user can and what can not. Low quality of community support (on the forums). Absolutely unjustifiably overpriced core and peripherals.

PC+Windows7 is a way better everyday tool, which you can easily tailor to your needs, extend, upgrade, dispose.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion but belittling those that make different choices is offensive even or especially when you say "(sorry no offense)".

My Mac easily handles a 3 button mouse (and I need one to properly use Xwindows and BSD) and other user input devices. Singe Menu is due to specific User Interface standards based on human factors studies and a philosophy that is focused on the consumer. More important than the single menu is the guideline that every possible command be reachable from the main menu, not hidden away in context sensitive menus or magic key combinations.

Macs are in no way restrictive to users or developers. They are different. I can do things on my Mac out of the box that no off the shelf PC or Windows install can do. I have a lot of Mac specific tools and software available for me and I can easily download and compile a huge library of UNIX (and some Linux) tools. If I can't find what I want I have the developer tools (compilers, frameworks, IDC) available for free, both the Mac OS ones and the ones familiar to Linux users.

Community support for OS-X and Mac is very very good but it is a bit smaller and you need to know where to look. You generally won't find it on typical computer forums because most Mac users will be in the minority and get tired of the put downs. Most people are pretty good but the Windows installation base is huge and it only takes a small percentage to ruin a good environment. Of course the Mac zealots are hard to take too (and yes Apple does make mistakes, no company is perfect).

The price thing is tired and flat wrong in most of the market segments where Apple chooses to compete. It is very hard to match the capabilities of some Apple computers at any price while others compete very well on price with the Windows equivalents. Apple does not have offerings for all segments so you can always find a cheaper computer, if you want to. I can always get a knockoff swiss army knife for less than a wenger too. If it works for you great, doesn't mean it will work for everyone.

My computer background basically goes UNIX geek since the 1980s - CPM etc. before that. DOS, Windows(3.x-7), Macs and various embedded systems floating around in there also. I also work in system design for complex embedded systems using both COTS and custom processors (chips not boards), controllers and communication links. Design always involves making trades and the ones we make at work would produce horrible personal computers but are needed to support our requirements.

Personally I am most productive on a Mac since it makes a nice (affordable) substitute for my hugely expensive UNIX box while providing me a nice GUI for accessing typical office tools. I have coworkers who prefer PCs with Linux or Windows. End of the day they are just tools and we all get the same basic job done.

Tools are tools and while I like SnapOn and Blackhawk wrenches the Craftsman and Stanley ones work OK also. If you don't know why I like SnapOn (or Apple computers) better than Craftsman (Windows PCs) then your needs/expectations are different than mine.

-Eric

Edited by Eric (02/05/11 11:54 AM)
Edit Reason: Fixing an oops