Originally Posted By: JerryFountain
Jim,

GREAT review, I really enjoyed it. As for Colin Fletcher, my copy came out when he was a young man (I still am wink ) and the Coleman stove was still big and heavy (I think the Sportsman one burner had just come out). He and I were still using the SVEA 123.

Thanks again,

Jerry
Hi, Jerry,

Thanks.

The standard Coleman one burners are still big and heavy to this day. I think one of the problems of the Xtreme was a problem of perception. Backpackers, mountaineers, etc. didn't take a high end stove from Coleman seriously. I'm obviously speculating, but I think that if MSR had introduced the Xtreme, the stove would have done a lot better. Despite having to overcome Coleman's image problem, the Xtreme has almost a cult following among lightweight winter travelers, and I can understand why. Winter travel in the backcountry involves weather. Nasty weather. Sometimes there's no other practical way to cook other than in the vestibule of your tent. Firing up an XGK with white gasoline inside one's tent is no small task. eek But firing up a gassie is no big deal. Hence the appeal of this stove. As far as I am aware, the Xtreme has the coldest rating of any gas stove.

Oh, and the Svea 123 (original type before Optimus bought out Svea) is still one of my "go to" stoves and is certainly my personal favorite.

HJ