Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#212205 - 12/02/10 05:06 PM Air Rifle For Fun And Hunting
Jesselp Offline
What's Next?
Enthusiast

Loc: New York
So, there was a thread a while back about air rifles that got me interested enough to peruse the local classifieds looking for an inexpensive used airgun. I thought it would be a fun way to work on my marksmanship, and maybe hunt small game, either now or in an emergency. (Living by the shore, fish would be my first choice for emergency protein, but that's another discussion.)

Anyhow, I saw a deal I couldn't resist, and jumped in with both feet!

It's an Airforce Talon SS in .22 caliber. And yes, it came with all the rediculous tacticool accessories you see, as well as a hand pump to fill it with air. I bought it for less than the price of a mid-range spring gun. It's ugly as sin, but I don't really care!

The piece of paper shows the accuracy potential of the rifle - I was aiming at the black dot, and produced the group that is just to the left and above it the first time I shot it after adjusting the scope. Admitedly, this was at across-the-basement distances, but still, I've never done that well with an actual firearm!

It's very quiet, and launches a .22 cal pellet at close to 900 FPS. I'm pretty sure that, if it were legal, I could go out and provide my family with plenty of meat from the local flock of resident Canada Geese.

Oh, and did I mention it's loads of fun?

#212209 - 12/02/10 06:44 PM Re: Air Rifle For Fun And Hunting [Re: Jesselp]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
What's it's range?

In my limited experience with compressed air weapons, throwing rocks would be just as effective.

Sue

#212227 - 12/02/10 08:56 PM Re: Air Rifle For Fun And Hunting [Re: Jesselp]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Aren't you a little short for a stormtrooper?
grin

Seriously though, I like it. How long does it take to pump up the cylinder, how many shots do you get from a full cylinder, and how loud is it?

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#212313 - 12/03/10 06:56 PM Re: Air Rifle For Fun And Hunting [Re: Blast]
Jesselp Offline
What's Next?
Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: Blast
Aren't you a little short for a stormtrooper?
grin

-Blast

I'm with Ben Kenobi, I'm here to rescue you!

cool

The operating pressure is between 2000 and 3000 psi. Pumping it up to 3000 from 2000 took about five minutes. It required some effort, but really not bad. I just had to put my weight into the pumping. . .

The manufacturer claims accuracy up to 70 yards, with between 30-70 shots at high power, depending on pellet weight and power settings. Up to 300 on low power, which is how I've used it inside. I've not had it long enough to really put any of this to the test. Sound wise, shooting without hearing protection, the sound of the pellet hitting the backstop was louder than the report of the rifle. It contains an integrated "expansion chamber" to reduce sound levels. I understand that with a plain barrel it's as loud as a .22 rifle. There's actually lots of youtube videos out there of astouding feats of accuracy with these rifles!

Shooting in the basement, I tend to run out of free time before I run the air tank low. I'm going to take it to an indoor range next week and see what it can do at up to 50 yards, which is farther than I can shoot in my yard. Then, next time I go upstate I'll bring it along for a squirrel hunt just to try it out.

#212333 - 12/03/10 09:33 PM Re: Air Rifle For Fun And Hunting [Re: ]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99
These are not the droids you are looking for.

-Izzy, who will be wearing the Chewbacca costume when Blast buys the Aircraft Carrier for traveling the World.

I'm working on it! So far in donations for it I've collected...nothing. Apparently I have cheap readers.

-Blast, looking forward to seeing Izzbacca...and cruising around in his own aircraft carrier!
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#212412 - 12/05/10 08:23 PM Re: Air Rifle For Fun And Hunting [Re: Jesselp]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
I sure hope you didn't pay near this price:

http://www.pyramydair.com/p/airforce-talon-ss-air-rifle.shtml?gclid=CMD6vdqF1qUCFRiAgwod-y5YmQ

Crazy it cost more than a real .22!

Where did you get a deal?

#212420 - 12/05/10 09:29 PM Re: Air Rifle For Fun And Hunting [Re: Todd W]
Paul810 Offline
Veteran

Loc: NJ, USA
Originally Posted By: Todd W

Good air rifles cost more than cheap .22's. Just like expensive .22's cost more than cheap centerfire rifles. You always pay more for quality.

Consider this though....you can buy 500 high quality .22 caliber pellets for $10. That's half of what it costs for 500 rounds of .22lr. They also take up less space (being smaller) and are safer to store as there is no powder or priming compound.

Like anything, there are advantages and disadvantages. smile

#212470 - 12/06/10 02:39 PM Re: Air Rifle For Fun And Hunting [Re: Todd W]
Jesselp Offline
What's Next?
Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: Todd W
I sure hope you didn't pay near this price:

http://www.pyramydair.com/p/airforce-talon-ss-air-rifle.shtml?gclid=CMD6vdqF1qUCFRiAgwod-y5YmQ

Where did you get a deal?

Todd,

I agree, that's a lot of money! No, I didn't pay anywhere near that price. I found an ad on a local shooting website for someone who was looking to sell. I made a low-ball offer, and much to my surprise, they accepted. I paid around what I'd have paid for a new 10/22, but I can't shoot a 10/22 in my garage!

That said, these are often considered to be low-priced when it comes to PCP airguns. It's easy to spend over $1,000 on a rifle, if you shop that website a little bit!

Still waiting for a chance to try it at longer ranges. I'll let you know when I do, and if I think it's viable as a small game hunting gun. From the videos I've seen online, I suspect it is.

#212472 - 12/06/10 03:47 PM Re: Air Rifle For Fun And Hunting [Re: Jesselp]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
I have a few air guns. But not that Talon. However, it is on my Wish List if I ever get rich! I think some of the Talons (all of them?) can use large CO2 cannisters in addition to being PCP. Talons are reported to be very nice air rifles, but I've never seen one in person. Nice purchase!

#212477 - 12/06/10 04:48 PM Re: Air Rifle For Fun And Hunting [Re: Susan]
rebwa Offline
Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: Susan
What's it's range?

In my limited experience with compressed air weapons, throwing rocks would be just as effective.

Sue

hahaha, that has been my rather limited experience with them too!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 564 Guests and 30 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
09/01/24 05:57 PM
Best TSA Safe Multitool
by Doug_Ritter
08/31/24 02:57 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
08/24/24 11:08 PM
Alaskan attacked by a bear and shot
by Phaedrus
08/23/24 07:43 AM
Woman Lost 4 Days in Colorado Mountains Is Rescued
by dougwalkabout
08/22/24 10:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.