Mike..it's called hyaluronan,it's made from chicken combs.i call it getting "chicken bits" in the knee when friends ask. every four months i get a run of three a week apart.my Dr tells me it not only fills the cells in the joint space that are "drying" out but it helps your body make more of it's own.the results have been very-very good.i went from walking with a heavy limp to walking without noticing any pain,going down steps holding the rail at one step at a time to just walking down.my mood is much better,hurting all the time was making me grouchy and i would really not feel like doing much.now i'm back at my hobbys.i thought i would have to cut way back on the canoe trips but with all the work my leg is getting with snowshoeing and X country skiing i can see that i have many years left to do that.i had a long visit with the ortho Dr about knee arthroscopy only to find out that the Vets Hospital does not do them anymore because the guys are back six months later with more pain,a new knee was all they would offer.so anyway i'll stick with the chicken bits-i did try a steroid shot some years ago with no results and when i told my Dr that he was not surprised that it did not help.i would ask your Dr about hyaluronan and expect several runs of the injections before you get good results.