The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#21514 - 11/20/03 02:41 PM Re: GPS for cars and walking around
billvann Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NE Illinois, USA (42:19:08N 08...
Nice overview of the available options. Have you any experience or thoughts on the DeLorme Earthmate GPS. It's restriction is that it's tied into their software on a laptop or PDA as it has no unit display.

#21515 - 11/20/03 03:43 PM Re: GPS for cars and walking around
Saunterer Offline

Loc: Kansas City area
"Nice overview of the available options. Have you any experience or thoughts on the DeLorme Earthmate GPS. It's restriction is that it's tied into their software on a laptop or PDA as it has no unit display. "

I've had my Earthmate GPS for about 5 years now, and it's not a bad unit (in regards to being a GPS). I've got an adapter that uses the COM port on my PC for the interface, with a keyboard connector to power the GPS via my laptop. It otherwise will require 4 AAA batteries to power it without the adapter. Now the downside. No display, I have to use it with my laptop, and uses Garmin proprietary interface versus standard NMEA. The thing I do like about it, is it's ability to interface with Street Atlas, Topo USA and the other Delorme software series.

Now my opinion, if someone didn't give me the Earthmate as a gift, I would never have bought it. I have to have my laptop, cables, and securing this all in the car. I guess it depends on your application. I find in my cross country travels using my Garmin Street Pilot color is perfect for me with the standard base map. My eTrex (yeller one) is my perfect map/compass companion when hiking because all I want is to verify an azimuth, and my Garmin 45XL for general GPS'ing. If I didn't have a GPS today and had to have just one for my use, I'd probably get the Garmin Vista, for the ability to download detailed maps, size, and the ability to upload and download with any mapping software that supports NMEA.

Edit: Forgot to add, if I need detailed routing, I generally use my eTrex yellow, a homemade data connector (made from an old credit card and DB9 cable) and my laptop running Street Atlas 9.

Just my ramblings.

--Chris

#21516 - 11/20/03 04:38 PM Re: GPS for cars and walking around
harrkev Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Colorado Springs, CO
No, but unless it is at a VERY good price, I would pass.

You can get a GPS for right at $100 (Garmin eTrex or Meridian Sportrak), and throw in mapping software (Delorme Street Atlas) for another $50 if you shop around. This gives you the same thing, but you have the option of taking the GPS into the woods. Even without mapping capability, a basic GPS can still help you find your way back to base camp or find a geocache.

Keep in mind that some new laptops do NOT have a standard RS-232 serial port. If you have one of these, you will also need to include an extra $30 or so for a USB-to-RS-232 converter.

#21517 - 11/20/03 08:14 PM Re: GPS for cars and walking around
billvann Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NE Illinois, USA (42:19:08N 08...
I agree with the downsides. Have you ever tried connecting to a PDA? I think Garmin makes a unit that plugs into the Palm expamsion slot.

#21518 - 11/20/03 08:51 PM Re: GPS for cars and walking around
Saunterer Offline

Loc: Kansas City area
Not through the expansion slot. I have a dozen or so Palms and most of the time I've just used a serial cable from the Palm to whatever flavor GPS I had at the time. I've got Solus Pro from Delorme on it, and have used other mapping software to do it. Works OK, but you still have the GPS, cable, Palm thing going on.

Depending on your needs, I would just get a standard eTrex, build your own data cable (save your ~$40 for something else, all you need is ground, data in and data out) and you can basically hook it to anything that has a com port. This way I use my eTrex with my laptop, desktop (I have a GPS repeater above my head here at work), Palm, and for a standalone unit. This way I have my car navigation, playing at work, mapping availablity in the wild (using Palm) and map/compass companion with one unit.

--Chris

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 424 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Use of mirror, helicopter pilot notices
by Phaedrus
10/03/24 05:15 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
10/01/24 12:34 AM
The price of gold
by brandtb
09/27/24 07:40 PM
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.