Originally Posted By: hikermor

I would go for rope that is a bit thicker, partially because of abrasion concerns but also because in assembling a minimal kit like we are discussing, I want something that is UIAA rated for lead climbing, whatever the diameter might be - currently something around 9mm. You almost are likely to face a situation where climbing up is necessary, as well as rappelling, and you want to be ready for that. I would throw in a couple of slings, and perhaps a small chock or two - it would depend a bit upon the precise situation. As has been pointed out previously, a proper climbing harness is so light these days that it makes sense to include one as well.

@Hikemore,

You make some great points, for quickness and light weight I don't cary chocks, but that is my prefeance.

As memory serves me a lead rope is a dynamic rope, the reason I prefer keeping prusick cord that is smaller is that it is lighter and static line (aka low stretch). yes you can rappel on dynamic rope, but the stretch cna add a little "fun factor," to the rappel.

I think that you are totaly on the spot about everyone who rappels knowing belaying techniques. The reason I did not say that they needed to know how to climb or need to be physicaly able to climb was that sometimes you can hike up a mountain and end up with the only way down being rappeling.

@everyone,

this is a GREAT subject, and one that is very dear to my heart.