Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#214580 - 01/08/11 11:29 PM Guyot sloshing
falcon5000 Offline
Addict

I have been experimenting with ways of carrying my Guyot 32oz stainless steel bottle to allow more flexibility and concealment. Before I use to keep it in my cargo pocket but the weight and banging on the ole knees didn't help. So I talked to my buddy Rain-walker over at the yard (our sheath maker) if he had any ideas, he came up with this one, so far it is working good but you do get some sloshing noise from a not completely full bottle (which is normal). I can deal with the noise but I was wondering if anyone had any ideas that could reduce sloshing noise in horizontal bottles, I know with the bladders we let the air out, but I was seeing if any body had any ideas. Just thought I would ask, thanks.Other than the noise I really like the design and comfort.

Tek-Loks on sheath

Before

After

#214584 - 01/09/11 12:21 AM Re: Guyot sloshing [Re: falcon5000]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
I don't understand the need to conceal a water bottle, but doing so in the small of your back can present problems. Should you fall over backwards, you could have a very serious back injury. Anyway, if you bent over even slightly, there goes your concealment. It would stand out and call attention to itself like a turd in a punchpowl.

#214587 - 01/09/11 12:55 AM Re: Guyot sloshing [Re: falcon5000]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Drink all the water. That should take care of any sloshing and lighten the weight, too.

Sue

#214594 - 01/09/11 03:09 AM Re: Guyot sloshing [Re: falcon5000]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
Use a bladder inside the bottle.

If you do not want the water bladder to slide around inside bottle, use a second baldder and inflate with air as needed to occupy the space left as you consume water.

Edited by dweste (01/09/11 03:19 AM)

#214596 - 01/09/11 03:20 AM Re: Guyot sloshing [Re: falcon5000]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
This is not a response to your question, but I am curious - how is the bottle retained within the sheath?

I believe that bottles retained vertically will "slosh" less noticeably - the water has a shorter path in which to generate wave action. FWIW, I haven't been bothered by water slosh in vertical belt canteens.

Haertig raises a valid concern - that does look like a back breaker.

Edited by hikermor (01/09/11 03:26 AM)

#214601 - 01/09/11 04:43 AM Re: Guyot sloshing [Re: haertig]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
+1 to everything Haertig said.

That in mind, a kydex sheath for a water bottle... neat!

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#214610 - 01/09/11 12:44 PM Re: Guyot sloshing [Re: falcon5000]
falcon5000 Offline
Addict

Thanks all for the input and I will take your advice Haertig about keeping it away from the back and move it to the front. This set up is primary used when traveling through countries and not through jungle or woods and that is why the back mount wasn't as big as a concern. But all it takes is me slipping on a road or something and that would be the end of that, I think if it was in the front the damage would not be as permanent (hopefully). When I carry the bottle off road it usually stays in a pack, this is mostly traveling in and about cites and suburbs and the idea of keeping it a little hidden just keeps the strange looks from the locals and the LEO's from checking my bottle because I stand out from the norm even though all it has is water in it. Blending in with the crowd as much as possible is a plus, this set up is far better than my vertical set up, it just has noise. Anyway thanks every body for the comments, I still will be brainstorming.

hikermor, the bottle has a fitting the same way the knives stay in there sheaths, it holds the water bottle full or empty with no problems and can be deployed in seconds. Great design except for noise.

#214613 - 01/09/11 01:07 PM Re: Guyot sloshing [Re: falcon5000]
TAB Offline

Loc: The Redwood Forest
If the Guyot holds 1 quart, then the pilot water flasks hold half as much as the Guyot. Each time you drink, drink half a quart and refill from the pilot flask; HERE.

This of course means carrying more, but having more water can't hurt, and this is really the only way to stop sloshing in a hard container you don't drink all of, IMO.

#214651 - 01/10/11 01:09 AM Re: Guyot sloshing [Re: falcon5000]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
Originally Posted By: falcon5000
When I carry the bottle off road it usually stays in a pack, this is mostly traveling in and about cites and suburbs and the idea of keeping it a little hidden just keeps the strange looks from the locals and the LEO's from checking my bottle because I stand out from the norm even though all it has is water in it. Blending in with the crowd as much as possible is a plus, this set up is far better than my vertical set up, it just has noise.

People carrying water bottles of all types/styles are so common nowadays so I have a difficult time understanding your claims that locals and LEO's give you or your water bottle a strange look.

On the other hand, carrying the bottle in what at a first quick glance appears to be a "tactical" belt which holds the bottle in the small of your back then yes, people and especially LEO's will probably give you a strange/closer look which goes against your goal of blending in...

As for the sloshing, the sound is not going to travel very far especially against the normal noise backdrop of an urban background.

That said and as Hikermor already posted, carry the bottle upright and this will reduce the sloshing.

Another option is to create a baffle that can be inserted into the bottle. A PET bottle along with some creativity would make a good start to experiment with.

John Lubbock

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Ren), 795 Guests and 48 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
The price of gold
by brandtb
Yesterday at 07:40 PM
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
09/01/24 05:57 PM
Best TSA Safe Multitool
by Doug_Ritter
08/31/24 02:57 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.