The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#214433 - 01/06/11 07:22 PM Re: Case for Mini Bic [Re: ireckon]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
MostlyHarmless, that's brilliant and simple. You didn't make that because of this thread, did you?

#214434 - 01/06/11 07:27 PM Re: Case for Mini Bic [Re: ireckon]
MostlyHarmless Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Norway
Originally Posted By: ireckon
MostlyHarmless, that's brilliant and simple. You didn't make that because of this thread, did you?

Nope - it was part of a PSK project that now resides in the cargo pocket of my outdoors pants. I've got a couple of these hidden about in some other kits, too.

Glad you like it! smile

#214437 - 01/06/11 08:34 PM Re: Case for Mini Bic [Re: MostlyHarmless]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
My main lighter resides inside my cook kit, where it is well protected. This arrangement has worked well for years. I distribute a Bic in each pack that I am likely to carry. I have a few Bics so old they have lost their color due to sun bleaching and they still light readily. They do quite well with little, if any, protection.

Still, I always have alternative means of lighting a fire. I understand Bics can be finicky at high altitudes.

#214438 - 01/06/11 08:34 PM Re: Case for Mini Bic [Re: MostlyHarmless]
Richlacal Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
I've been using Zip-Ties for about the last 10yrs,to prevent button depletion,Cheap & Effective!

#214448 - 01/06/11 10:38 PM Re: Case for Mini Bic [Re: ireckon]
Eric Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Iowa
I've always liked the C2 case from Bic for my mini-bics.

http://www.bicworld.com/us/products/details/232/c2-metal

It seems to be less bulky than some of the other alternatives and I got 4 of them for free as part of a promo several years ago. They do add a bit of bulk and weight but I figure its a good trade since anyone who comes across this in my kit will be able to get to the lighter and put it away without going what the heck is this thing for.

- Eric

#214453 - 01/06/11 11:10 PM Re: Case for Mini Bic [Re: ireckon]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
Originally Posted By: ireckon
I have revised the original post to include the following questions:

How do you solve the problem of accidentally pressing the button on a Bic and releasing all the gas? Do you just go with another type of lighter altogether?

I use thick twist ties from the local bakery. Cheap (free), durable and easily reusable.

The black strap is elastic (normally used in clothing waistbands etc) and is attached to the lighter with some wraps of black cloth (hockey) tape. There is a loop on the end that attaches to my belt and the lighter then goes into my coat pocket. When I need to use the lighter, I take it out of the pocket and the band stretches far enough to easily light the fire. With this method, there is never any worry about dropping or losing the lighter.

John Lubbock

#214454 - 01/06/11 11:25 PM Re: Case for Mini Bic [Re: ireckon]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
I am a big fan of the Bic Lighter and include them in all my kits as well as distribute them throughout my exterior clothing, gear and vehicles.

I do a few modifications to a Bic:

- remove the Child Safety Device on any lighter I do not believe will be accessed by a child.
- wind some spare tape (electrical or duct) around the body.
- add some bright coloured reflective tape to make it easier to find.
- use some bright electrical tape to block the gas plunger from being depressed.

This is done with a piece of tape about 5 inches long. Stick one end of the tape to the metal shroud, then wrap it toward the plunger, twist the tape a couple of times to make a short thick cord-like section that fits under the plunger, then continue to stick the tape around the lighter and again over the plunger, at the end of the tape fold it over to make a Pull Tab. In ink I write "PULL" on this tab and make a direction arrow. This tape can be removed and reapplied a few times before it looses its stickyness and I have to replace it. All of my Bic lighters in kits are protected this way. I could post a picture of this simple method if anyone would like?

I do have a Bic case for my EDC Mini-Bic but usually just go without or use this tape method. Mike

#214458 - 01/06/11 11:43 PM Re: Case for Mini Bic [Re: Eric]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Eric
I've always liked the C2 case from Bic for my mini-bics.

http://www.bicworld.com/us/products/details/232/c2-metal

I hadn't seen that one, thanks.

#214465 - 01/07/11 12:06 AM Re: Case for Mini Bic [Re: ireckon]
chaosmagnet Online   content
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
I use a zip-tie and it works well for me.

#214469 - 01/07/11 12:27 AM Re: Case for Mini Bic [Re: ireckon]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

The ideas here motivated me to think of one: bike inner tube!

I can't remember the diameter, but it's not the biggest one. Anyway, I cut the tube to fit in the little slot underneath the button. Then, double up the tube so that it wraps around the lighter tightly. It works well! Plus, it's extra tinder. I can still press the button if I mash down hard, but it's a lot harder to push with the inner tube there. (Richlacal did mention inner tube above, but he didn't hone in on this method.)

Holy cow, this has been a useful thread!

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
June
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online
2 registered (chaosmagnet, mazacheeein), 364 Guests and 90 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
06/09/24 07:45 PM
EDC Reduction
by paulr
06/04/24 10:30 AM
Recent Signal Mirror Successes - more wanted
by paulr
06/03/24 08:35 AM
Hoover Stew
by dougwalkabout
05/26/24 03:03 AM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/23/24 06:24 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/17/24 03:49 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
05/16/24 09:49 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.