Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#214396 - 01/06/11 03:03 AM Re: Ten (cheap & easy) Preparations for New Year [Re: Richlacal]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Richlacal
That is some Good Info,Softly Spoken,layman speak,For those with No Orientation of Preps/Lacking the $$/Time!Since I am,Who I am,I'll say,It seems they Forgot to mention 1 Important Preparation- A Honey Bucket,lol!During Stressful Moments,that Need is The Greatest,A simple 5 gal.Bucket with 10 gal.Bags,& A good qty. of TP & Hoo-Ahhs or equivalent.Having made my way,Around this Globe & Squatting in Places,I don't Care to Squat,Ever Again,I Think it is Important!

While not always pleasant or comfortable most people can get along, or learn to get along, quite well without toilet facilities of any kind. Yes, there is always the cat hole and squat. But the Chinese go for a semi-standing high altitude precision bombing. Often with less than sterling accuracy. Bigger holes and a certain amount of scraping into the hole for near misses can make it work while still preserving the environment.

#214397 - 01/06/11 03:31 AM Re: Ten (cheap & easy) Preparations for New Year [Re: Eugene]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Eugene
Its really not expensive to buy a few extra groceries when they are on sale to have some preps. I scaled back before we moved and then bought a new set of shelves and put them in our crawlspace and in the couple years have them full and overflowing. Took a picture and showed it to my wife who was amazed that we had so much food.

There are a lot of aspects to the finance and food purchase patterns. Many families are quite literally budgeted down to the last dollar. An extra can of beans may mean doing without something else. Hard for a lot of people to imagine but there are a lot of people who live very close to the edge financially, emotionally, physically.

It is hard to overestimate how stressed the bottom ten percent of the population is.

Also it has to be noted that eating at McDonnald's is fairly effective in a calories per dollar basis. But the big payoff is in time and effort. A single mother working two or three jobs six or seven days a week, shuttling kids to school and daycare, and catching sleep a few hours at a time whenever they can often have little time or energy to cook. Hitting the drive-through on the way home from picking the kids up from daycare is about as good as it gets.

For these people tossing the kids old Power Ranger comforter into the car, refilling discarded soda bottles, and getting a few large deep-discount candles may be a major advance. These ten steps Baby steps are just barely doable.

The good news is the first steps have the biggest payoff for the least investment.

I would rather see hundreds of families with few resources get a minimalist kit together than one or two assembling extensive kits.

#214399 - 01/06/11 03:37 AM Re: Ten (cheap & easy) Preparations for New Year [Re: TeacherRO]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: TeacherRO
Day one for a new prepper might be:

1. fill 4 l of water
2. get a flashlight

Exactly. A few liters of water and a flashlight is better than not having any water and a flashlight.

#214400 - 01/06/11 03:44 AM Re: Ten (cheap & easy) Preparations for New Year [Re: MoBOB]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: MoBOB
Good reading in general; aside from the unnecessary political jab. My only problem with the article is the ever-erroneous 1 gallon/day/person. I hold to no less than three and push for five to seven. Here is what I think is a good method for planning water storage: One cubic foot of storage for each person fer each day. A cubic foot of water is just over seven gallons. Given what storage systems take up in their structure you can probably count on no more than five gallons per cubic foot.

Just a thought.

YMMV

My $.02

People have survived on far less than one gallon/person/day. Within certain limits more is better, a lot depends on what you are doing without to have more, but most people can get along with a gallon a day if you limit use to drinking, brushing teeth, and a sponge bath.

#214405 - 01/06/11 05:58 AM Re: Ten (cheap & easy) Preparations for New Year [Re: Art_in_FL]
Richlacal Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Presently,I'm Unaware of Any society in this world,That Even Tries to Get along,Of whom Lack the proper facility or Commode! China Certainly isn't one,OK Mongolia/Tibet,I haven't been there!I'm Mainly Concerned with My Country,when a disaster happens such as, Tornado sends your outhouse into your neighbors house,Earthquake swallows up your Bathroom & Then some,Flood decides to visit,& overstay's it Welcome,Hurricane Andrew's Momma wants to hang out for awhile,Stuff like that!When you lack the proper place to Vent your frustrations,You remain Frustrated!

#214411 - 01/06/11 01:01 PM Re: Ten (cheap & easy) Preparations for New Year [Re: Art_in_FL]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: Art_in_FL
It is hard to overestimate how stressed the bottom ten percent of the population is. For these people tossing the kids old Power Ranger comforter into the car, refilling discarded soda bottles, and getting a few large deep-discount candles may be a major advance. I would rather see hundreds of families with few resources get a minimalist kit together than one or two assembling extensive kits.

I totally agree Art. Better is always better, but something is better than nothing. The easiest way to get someone to start thinking along these lines is to make it easy and cheap, especially when the family budget is tight. Organizing what you already have on hand can also be very empowering when you realize that you are more prepared than you thought.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#214412 - 01/06/11 02:03 PM Re: Ten (cheap & easy) Preparations for New Year [Re: bacpacjac]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Loc: here
Originally Posted By: bacpacjac
Organizing what you already have on hand can also be very empowering when you realize that you are more prepared than you thought.

What a great thought: Simple, direct, and very manageable. Just the fact you slow down enough to do this is a move in the right direction.

Honestly, I have a hard time knowing what I need to get when I go "major" grocery shopping. This step alone needs to be integrated.

Make a plan, make a plan, make a plan.....

Again, great thought.

#214416 - 01/06/11 02:59 PM Re: Ten (cheap & easy) Preparations for New Year [Re: Art_in_FL]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:

Also it has to be noted that eating at McDonnald's is fairly effective in a calories per dollar basis. But the big payoff is in time and effort. A single mother working two or three jobs six or seven days a week, shuttling kids to school and daycare, and catching sleep a few hours at a time whenever they can often have little time or energy to cook. Hitting the drive-through on the way home from picking the kids up from daycare is about as good as it gets.

What about those who are unemployed with unemployment insurance benefits (i.e. social security recipients with at least some minimal income with local currency), those who are unemployed without unemployment benefits (i.e. timed out social security recipients who have been referred to as bums, junkies and animals that don't deserve to be fed less they breed and not even counted on Government statistics as even being unemployed).

I'm a little confused how food stamps work, as they appear to be a system of (Local, Federal Government or charitable?) rationing out with the main stream economy yet there are tens of millions of folks reliant on this system (i.e. food survival). There appears to very little leeway (basically non existent even for those who are adept at planning a weekly diet rota) for folks on food stamps to put aside enough to cater for a general emergency.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mW0wdlyXJBU

Is the food stamp system the fall back for unemployed people whose unemployment benefits have run out. How does this affect any housing benefits so that folks can remain in their place of residence (i.e Shelter esp with one of the coldest winters forecast for a generation)?

The underlying economic problems haven't been resolved, in fact they are even more dire since the banking and financial sectors in the western world went bankrupt in 2008. The real economic fallout has yet to be paid in currency devaluation and government debt default with the consequent inflation of worldwide commodities because they are priced in the worlds reserve currency (i,e, the UN food price index is once again at its highest level due to speculative actions as just before the previous stock market crash of 2008), whilst many other countries are actively decoupling their economies from the worlds reserve currency (currency war) to the point that I suspect gun boat diplomacy is being actively pursued to maintain the free ride that the masters of the universe have gotten so used to.

I suspect it may be to late for those on limited fix incomes or those on poorly paid wages without any savings to put together enough cash for a 3-6 month food stockpile. For those that can afford to do so, I would recommend that they do so immediately or at least have a cash float available under the mattress to pay for a food stockpile when required.

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (01/06/11 03:43 PM)

#214443 - 01/06/11 09:15 PM Re: Ten (cheap & easy) Preparations for New Year [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Richlacal Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
I've been in line at the supermarket,& Observed many a Folk,Using Foodstamps/WIC coupons & Talking/Texting on BlackBerry's & Razors(cells)/Bluetooth's,Parked in the Blue zones(Handicapped Only)Loading their Lincoln Navigators/Cadillacs with the Groceries,whilst being Oblivious to the Traffic/Life around them!As far as I'm Concerned,These types don't Deserve, Preparational Instruction!Murphy's law Tells me,They will Probably Survive,Any Disaster!

#214472 - 01/07/11 12:50 AM Re: Ten (cheap & easy) Preparations for New Year [Re: Art_in_FL]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I've seen my share of those , load up a cart and when their bill was more than the amount of food stamps they had they would put everything back but the junk food. Some would offer $5-10 in food stamps in exchange for $4 to us pushing carts in from the lot in case so they could buy cigarettes (and get mad at me when I wouldn't take them on their offer).
I got paid weekly and allocated $20 to groceries our of my $100 per week take home pay, I got lunch at school and at work sat and Sunday when I worked 8 hours so that had to do breakfast and dinner for a week. I'd get the $0.19 loaf of bread, the $0.99 eggs, $0.99 gallon of OJ, $0.79 imitation pop tarts, cans of soup or such that was on sale. It was almost a game to see how far I could stretch that budget.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 489 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
How 5 Fishermen Survived...Carried a PLB!
by roberttheiii
02:51 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
01:45 AM
Lost in Northern California Mountains for 10 Days
by Ren
06/25/24 08:36 PM
Growing a Garden in 2024?
by Eugene
06/25/24 06:46 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
06/23/24 06:12 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by clearwater
06/12/24 11:25 PM
EDC Reduction
by paulr
06/04/24 10:30 AM
Recent Signal Mirror Successes - more wanted
by paulr
06/03/24 08:35 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.