Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#214109 - 01/02/11 03:50 AM Re: EDC Bag Flashlight? [Re: ]
bigmbogo Offline
Journeyman

I don't know about the Deal Extreme lights for $14, but for three dollars more, I can get a Streamlight Micro, which takes AA. I received the Streamlight Strion LED for Christmas, and it's so impressive I am thinking about the Micro as a smaller companion to it.

On the subject of cheaper LEDs, I'm looking for a really low-priced alternative that I could buy several of and scatter around various vehicles, bags, etc. Is there a truly reliable AA or AAA in the $5-7 range?

David

Edited by bigmbogo (01/02/11 04:00 AM)

#214117 - 01/02/11 07:07 AM Re: EDC Bag Flashlight? [Re: acropolis5]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
Everyone speaks highly of Fenix, but ya know, I don't think I see them on shelves. Are these a internet only or specialty shop item (i.e. gun stores, Cabelas?).

As great a any item is for my personal kit the first gate it must pass is be replaceable within an hour or two. Admittedly, I don't get the WOW factor but I have it when I need it and can replace it right away.

#214122 - 01/02/11 07:19 AM Re: EDC Bag Flashlight? [Re: acropolis5]
JohnN Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Seattle, WA
WRT DX

The good -- cheap stuff
The bad -- cheap stuff

#214137 - 01/02/11 02:16 PM Re: EDC Bag Flashlight? [Re: bigmbogo]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Originally Posted By: bigmbogo

On the subject of cheaper LEDs, I'm looking for a really low-priced alternative that I could buy several of and scatter around various vehicles, bags, etc. Is there a truly reliable AA or AAA in the $5-7 range?

The best I would consider for that purpose is a Fexix EO1, about $13 a pop, and I would only install a lithium battery for the use that you contemplate. Lights can be really crucial and they are worth spending for.

#214153 - 01/02/11 06:20 PM Re: EDC Bag Flashlight? [Re: comms]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
Originally Posted By: comms
Everyone speaks highly of Fenix, but ya know, I don't think I see them on shelves. Are these a internet only or specialty shop item (i.e. gun stores, Cabelas?).

As great a any item is for my personal kit the first gate it must pass is be replaceable within an hour or two. Admittedly, I don't get the WOW factor but I have it when I need it and can replace it right away.

I'd also recommend the Fenix E01 for inexpensive and reliable.

Regarding being replaceable, even if you had a common Walmart flashlight that breaks down, you're not going to walk into the nearest convenient store and only buy that same exact model, are you? As long as the flashlight takes batteries that are easily obtainable (AA, AAA, etc.), then the flashlight itself can be custom made from NASA, your brother's garage or whatever you heart desires.

#214159 - 01/02/11 07:19 PM Re: EDC Bag Flashlight? [Re: acropolis5]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
I have a few Fenix lights that I carry for tactical situations and mostly use a Petzl headlamp when working/moving through the bush.

I recently added a Streamlight Sidewinder to my EDC pack. It is not the brightest light at 55 lumens max, but it seems to fill all other requirements (light, tough, waterproof, dim modes, strobe, stand-up, clip,on, C4 LED, red/green/blue or IR LEDs, lithum battery use).

I have not tested it yet but was encourage that it is issued to the US Miitary and it gets good reviews on the web.

Mike

#214163 - 01/02/11 08:01 PM Re: EDC Bag Flashlight? [Re: comms]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
[quote=comms

As great a any item is for my personal kit the first gate it must pass is be replaceable within an hour or two. Admittedly, I don't get the WOW factor but I have it when I need it and can replace it right away. [/quote]

In too many situations, an hour or two might as well be an eternity; you need light and you need it now.

The best solution is redundancy, which is easy with the great variety of AA and AAA models, many of which are both highly dependable and light in weight. Standardize your e-gear so that as many items as possible will interchange batteries.

Compared to the past, there are a huge number of good lights to choose from, both from stores and from the internet. I started in what were truly the Dark Ages.

#214165 - 01/02/11 09:32 PM Re: EDC Bag Flashlight? [Re: ]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
I agree Izzy, I also EDC a Petzl e-lite, and put another one in my BCB Mini Mess Tin PSK. Mike

#214184 - 01/03/11 02:37 AM Re: EDC Bag Flashlight? [Re: acropolis5]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Loc: here
I have the greatest admiration for the Brinkmann Two-Pack at Home Depot for $10. They are headlamps with two white LEDs and one red one. They come with batteries (3 AAA). I use one as a reading light in bed. The red LED lasts for a very long time (many reading sessions). Of course, I have to use the white when I read my red-letter edition Bible.

Standard Disclaimer

YMMV

My $.02

#214198 - 01/03/11 04:04 PM Re: EDC Bag Flashlight? [Re: acropolis5]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
i think my concern was not stated correctly and maybe misplaced on this thread. When it comes to people asking me what kind of gear to get, I generally tell them to get something that can be replaced quickly when it is used up or lost. Something that the user is not emotionally attached too. Personally I don't lose gear as much as I am hard on it (break it) or use it up.

This thread presupposed the need of a flashlight for EDC and not the breakage of the item when employed or off grid or the battery's running out. Of course batteries should be considered in all excursions.

My point was when people speak highly of Fenix lights, and I have no doubt they are a great brand b/c of the people on this forum, I couldn't tell you where to get one locally.

While I will research online for reviews and not afraid to pay $$$ for specific gear, I try to buy locally. I generally find that Uncle Murphy forces me to get a replacement the day before I need it or during a trip and if for example that item is a Fenix flashlight I couldn't you where I would find one where I live. But if the item can be replaced within an hour or two, at places like REI, Sports Authority, pretty much any gun store or hiking store in the area I am in, its a +1 in my book. Which is why I like brands like Gerber, Mag Lite, Sure Fire, Petzel, Black Diamond. Not b/c they have the brightest illumination or the lightest item but I am familiar with them and they are dare I say ubiquitous in a decent sized city.

For the record, I believe in the "2 is 1, 1 is none" principal. I carry in my EDC; a chem light, a AA minimag LED and a photon LED. Not to mention a zippo, mini bic and Fire Steel. FWIW I have the flashlight app for my iPhone and usually have a headlamp (like the e+lite)with me.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
June
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online
1 registered (marantz), 480 Guests and 74 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Lost in Northern California Mountains for 10 Days
by Ren
08:36 PM
Growing a Garden in 2024?
by Eugene
06:46 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
06/23/24 06:12 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by clearwater
06/12/24 11:25 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
06/09/24 07:45 PM
EDC Reduction
by paulr
06/04/24 10:30 AM
Recent Signal Mirror Successes - more wanted
by paulr
06/03/24 08:35 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.