Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#213958 - 12/30/10 07:23 PM Re: What are your cold weather hiking/ survival pants? [Re: bigmbogo]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Back when I was worried about it I used one of two , thin poly or heavier poly/wool long john bottoms, a pair of mid or heavy weight fleece pants over that base, and thin but tight weave cotton/poly tropical BDU (they wear like iron and dry fast) and/or rain pants bottoms for exterior wear or wind/rain protection.

#214077 - 01/01/11 06:38 PM Re: What are your cold weather hiking/ survival pants? [Re: bigmbogo]
bigmbogo Offline
Journeyman

Thanks for the replies. Those railriders look like a good bet. Come to think of it, I have a pair of BDU pants that might be nylon, or a cotton/nylon blend. I'll see if I can dig them up, and see what their made of. I am trying to avoid cotton, and go with something more quick-drying.

#214103 - 01/02/11 02:47 AM Re: What are your cold weather hiking/ survival pants? [Re: bigmbogo]
unimogbert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Colorado
Originally Posted By: bigmbogo
Thanks for the replies. Those railriders look like a good bet. Come to think of it, I have a pair of BDU pants that might be nylon, or a cotton/nylon blend. I'll see if I can dig them up, and see what their made of. I am trying to avoid cotton, and go with something more quick-drying.

Ny/Co mixture BDU pants are good. 100% cotton are not.
The interior label will say.

#214106 - 01/02/11 03:12 AM Re: What are your cold weather hiking/ survival pants? [Re: bigmbogo]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

The advantages of cotton, hard wearing and a weave that tightens in moisture and is both wind resistant and highly breathable, and its use as an exterior layer well away from the insulation layer and skin, a thin layer that holds little water, make a cotton/poly blend a forgivable sin IMHO.

#214119 - 01/02/11 07:11 AM Re: What are your cold weather hiking/ survival pants? [Re: bigmbogo]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
Wear the same pants all year long, Mountain Hardware Canyon pants. I use a base layer when its cold. Have Sierra Design rain pants for waterproofing.

#214176 - 01/03/11 01:00 AM Re: What are your cold weather hiking/ survival pants? [Re: bigmbogo]
raptor Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Europe
I wear these Airborne Vintage pants from company called Surplus Raw Vintage almost all year (except summer) - http://www.surplus-shop.de/start.php?wrk...job=&lang=2 . In winter I wear them with one thermo layer under. They are 100% cotton pants though so probably not what you are looking for. I wouldn't wear them in some really harsh weather but for shorter trips and trail running, they are great and extremely comfortable. They are also good if I am near a fire, they don't rustle and last but not least they look good.

#214201 - 01/03/11 04:28 PM Re: What are your cold weather hiking/ survival pants? [Re: bigmbogo]
JerryFountain Offline
Addict

Loc: St. Petersburg, Florida
Working not around machinery I start with wool longies (right now Cabelas Marino wool) and Filson grey heavy wool pants. If wet or on the snow a lot, I add some rain/wind pants. If really wet (working through the ice, etc.) I use a set of heavy Gore Tex coveralls. If it gets much colder, then I add a pair of insulated bermuda shorts :-). Learned the trick from an Inuit in Tuktoyaktuk - he wore a pair of polar bear shorts. It keeps you warm but does not restrict your walking/running behind the dogs (plus my mukluks go almost to the knee anyway).

Working around machinery (grease and oil) I typically use some surplus (Swiss I think) wool pants in place of the Filsons. They wear better but are not as comfortable to me. I don't like the leg pockets - too stiff. I sometimes wear light cheap pants over them to keep out the dirt.

Just for fun I sometimes wear my woolies with a set of down insulated underwear covered with a good rain/wind pant. Super light and flexable, but do not wear well for work. They are also not as adjustable for temp. and have the usual problem of down around water - great in the dry snow.

The best,

Jerry

#214286 - 01/04/11 06:25 PM Re: What are your cold weather hiking/ survival pants? [Re: JerryFountain]
MostlyHarmless Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Norway
Outermost layer:
In dry conditions or only light rain/sleet/for a limited time: A cotton/synthetic blend called G1000 by the Swedish firm Fjällräven. It seems to be composed of the same mix as the venerable "511" trousers, but I don't know how the quality compares. Anyway, my Fjällräven pants is by far my favourite pair of outdoors anything trousers for any season with temperatures below 15C / 60F.

In dry winter conditions (dry snow, below freezing), pure cotton has lots of advantages if spun to be wind proof and of the right quality. The "G1000" seems to be slightly better, but modern membrane (goretex or whatever) clothes will still keep you dry longer in wet conditions.

In wet conditions, I typically augment that with a goretex-equivalent pair of trousers that are wide enough to just slide over my boots and all. I also use this as an extra wind blocking/insulation layer if it is really bitterly cold and blowing hard - it gives highly improved wind resistance and a little extra insulation without slowing me down and hinder any movements. My particular pair is of the material "dermizax" made by the Norwegian firm Bergans. Good stuff, but there's tons and tons of similar stuff out there.

Underneath my outer layers, I put one or more layers of merino wool "long johns" (long underpants), depending on temperature and level of activity. Great stuff. I LOVE wool.

All this is for moving about. If I need to stay still I will add a snowmobile suit. Down would be great - maybe next Christmas.

Edited by MostlyHarmless (01/04/11 06:26 PM)

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 338 Guests and 68 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
The price of gold
by brandtb
09/27/24 07:40 PM
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
09/01/24 05:57 PM
Best TSA Safe Multitool
by Doug_Ritter
08/31/24 02:57 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.