Hmm, having read thru the responses so far I am going with stay put or work my way upstream. Option 2 would be not get into this mess in the first place by being better prepared, including aware of weather and stream conditions.

I really can't imagine a set of circumstances / improbable events that would lead me to such a poor set of available choices.

In the spirit of "playing along" just to keep my McGyver credentials here are some all out acts of desperation that fit this overly contrived scenario. (note - many of these are about a realistic as the TV show was).

-Use my EDC/PSK to start a good fire at the base of several of the nearby large trees, causing them to fall and provide me a handy improv bridge to the other side.

-Similar to above but use fire as a signal. A 50' Pine makes a great signal fire. This might actually also force the issue about crossing the stream in a rapid fashion smile

- Staying in place is not an option but no other time constraint was listed so use my EDC/PSK and provided paracord to start building a pier / bridge to the other side. Drag good sized timber (limbs, trunks etc.) to the water and start pounding some posts in (there should be rocks or bigger chunks of wood around, right?) as far into the water as I can reach while staying dry. . Advance slowly to the other side by constructing a narrow walkway of branches supported by the posts. Might take a while and water will probably drop back down before I finish but at least I'm not just staying put.

Hmm - well I tried but the only reasonable answers seem to be stay put or don't get into this scenario.

- Eric