This isn't about intestinal fortitude, it is simple physics and the unforgiving nature of high energy systems of any type.

The things you don't and can't know (how much moisture is in the wood/soil, how many volts is the line, are there any holes in my shoes/gloves, or when will the power come back on) are what will kill you. Even highly trained professionals die when working with high power levels.

Assuming you decide intestinal fortitude is the answer, I hope you know what voltage level the line is at before you start throwing wood and dirt around.

For a local (i.e. low voltage) distribution line you might be ok if you can find a nice dry 2x4 or 4x4 (at least 8' long) and the ground conditions are also nice and dry. I'd still give it a good toss from a fair distance away just to be sure.

For higher power lines I hope you feel up to tossing around some pretty hefty hunks of wood and moving a whole lot of dirt. In dry conditions, using nice kiln dried lumber (no preservatives or glues of any kind), you would want to be at least 15-20 feet away from where the line is "grounding out" if it is in the 115KV range. That sucker is also probably snapping and jumping like a mad thing, either from arcing or the wind that brought it down.

None of the above lumber is in my BOB, EDC or backpack. Usually not in my SUV or home either. I don't often carry a full size shovel along either, much less a backhoe. Going with what I can find/cut, dig up with what is on me, I suspect the pro's will be at it before I can accomplish anything short of killing my self and making a very bad situation even worse for those who get to watch my untimely demise.

With all of that out of the way there are a couple of scenarios where I would be willing to give it a go, but I'd be going in to it knowing full well that I would probably die trying. It would be risky, stupid, and absolutely the wrong thing to do but what can I say - parents aren't very rationale when the kids are in danger.

-Eric