The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#213460 - 12/22/10 05:59 AM Re: equipped to fly? [Re: ironraven]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
I now abhor flying commercially because of all the security restrictions (your choice: molestation or radiation) and thus fly only when forced to. That said, I always consider the weather at both the beginning and end of my journey and dress appropriately. I have a carry on bag which has the following:

road maps, professional licenses, FAK, notepad, misc. electronic components for my iphone and notepad, appointment/calendar book, personal logbook, steno pad, 5oz flask (empty), spare cigs, spare ziplock bags, zip ties, $10 roll of quarters, spare glasses, sunglasses, 15ft of cordage, bandannas, bic lighters, magic marker (black), plastic spoon, ink pens, hoodie.

I carry the following on my person:

cigs, bic lighter, ink pen, 2 wallets (ID and credit cards), calendar book, bandanna, comb, sunglasses, iphone, 2 stones (medicinal), appropriate clothing.

My checked luggage (if it was returned while I'm delayed):

Large bag with: 4 sets of normal clothing, seasonal clothing, medicine bag, set of linens/blankets, Shaving kit, FAK w/meds/vitamins, cigarettes, and a teddy bear.

Small bag with E&E kit: KaBar knife, food, VFR charts, 2 Bota bags (empty), metal cup, mess kit/gear, knee braces, bandannas, bic lighters, 25ft of 3/8ths in. line, feador, playing cards, leatherman, SAK, flashlight, credit card survival tool, 4 AA batteries, hat, fire starter, and a photon light/laser. I've got more gear in this bag but this is what comes to mind, impromptu.

#213469 - 12/22/10 08:23 AM Re: equipped to fly? [Re: Doug_Ritter]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I will ship ahead rather than deal with checked baggage, if possible. My carryon is essentially a BOB with the usual necessities including snacks (my favorite bars are Tonka bars, cherry pie Lara bars, and Banana nut bread Clif bars - usually two or three of each) plus generally a change of clothing, toiletries, and whatever unique, absolutely-can't-lose items might be involved in the excursion. Cutlery is always the trickiest issue.

I agree that airplane travel isn't fun anymore. I can remember when it was, but I date myself.

#213471 - 12/22/10 10:00 AM Re: equipped to fly? [Re: hikermor]
Paul810 Offline
Veteran

Loc: NJ, USA
Originally Posted By: hikermor

I agree that airplane travel isn't fun anymore. I can remember when it was, but I date myself.

Haha, my mother tells me all the time about how she used to just walk from the airport entrance to the plane. You could hop right on the plane and, if you didn't have a ticket, you could pay for the trip right there on the plane as long as there was an open seat. The only real security was that some of the pilots carried their handguns with them that they had from back when they flew during the war.

She also loves to tell me about how, when she was a kid, her father would give her a quarter, which was enough to ride the trolley to the center of town, watch a film at the theater, buy a soda and a few pieces of candy, then ride back home..all on one quarter..talk about dated. grin

#213475 - 12/22/10 12:31 PM Re: equipped to fly? [Re: Paul810]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Originally Posted By: Paul810

She also loves to tell me about how, when she was a kid, her father would give her a quarter, which was enough to ride the trolley to the center of town, watch a film at the theater, buy a soda and a few pieces of candy, then ride back home..all on one quarter..talk about dated. grin

I could have been the guy trying to lure your mom into the balcony. I did have to mow the lawn in order to obtain my quarter.....

#213477 - 12/22/10 01:15 PM Re: equipped to fly? [Re: ironraven]
Lono Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Pacific NW, USA
I don't keep a list so checked my carryon pockets to see what's there, just a few things there that haven't been mentioned (or could be again):

+1 on plastic spoon/fork. I carried a spork then promptly lost it, I think to a Capuchin monk...
+1 on maps, city and country at least. Sure, you can have this on your electronic device, but without a device you're lost again. For years I made it a practice to always carry mappage to route me all the way home via roads and highways. For the life of me I can't navigate from Atlanta to Seattle without a map or three. Too much good bbq to pull you off your route...
nitrile gloves, stuffed in a 35mm film container. Have come in handy particularly with ill fellow passengers. Flight crews have them but won't hand them out quick enough to make any difference.

Sure, air travel ain't as fun anymore, but some of us have to fly, and I've always allowed alot of time to get through barriers. Until recently the xray route has always saved me time over the other security options - getting pulled out of a line for an xray, instead of standing in line for regular inspection. It can really save time at Heathrow. But on the whole I haven't seen any difference in security except for those who insist they don't want the radiation, to each their own.

Also if you are low risk and a frequent international traveller I can recommend the Global Entry program, you check in at a kiosk rather than wait in line with others at passport control. I think its $100 for 5 years - but again, some folks find that level of prior inspection (background check) intrusive. I've been through enough background checks though it really doesn't matter to me. I'd rather front load it than wait for a border guard to perform his own analysis in real time, and maybe force me to dump out my carryon for his inspection.

#213478 - 12/22/10 02:53 PM Re: equipped to fly? [Re: ironraven]
Tirec Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Rocky Mountain West
In addition to much of the good stuff listed above, I always bring a pair of ear plugs, compass, hand sanitizer, and poncho. My keychain is 4' of braided para cord with a AAA Mag Solitaire and a Boy Scout Hot Spark fire starter (from the days when no matches or lighters were allowed). I also keep a 1.5" piece of hacksaw blade with the teeth ground off in my wallet.

#213488 - 12/22/10 03:59 PM Re: equipped to fly? [Re: ironraven]
JBMat Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NC
I just returned from a trip out to Idaho to attend a family funeral.

Leaving RDU, I forgot my 3x5 cards and handkerchief/bandana in my back pocket. Instant patdown of my buttockal region. Had to go to sniffer machine too. Yeah, lots of terrorists have retired military ID cards.

Coming back, in SLC I had on a sweatshirt over a regular polo shirt. The machine was "unable to see my armpits". Another hand inspection. Glad I wore deodorant that day. Oh, he also checked my watch for "hanging wires". Dick Tracy would be in trouble.

In my checked bag I had my codura notebook with SAK/Maglite/bic lighter/floss/ducttape/bandaids/pencil and pen. No problems getting it through.

I laughed a lot. And a nephew is a supervisor with the TSA and he thinks half the stuff they do is BS. I did ask him for some new knives for Christmas tho, lol.

#213489 - 12/22/10 04:44 PM Re: equipped to fly? [Re: Doug_Ritter]
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
Doug,

My travel is about as frequent as yours, but I won't check bags under most circumstances.

My kit was similar but here's some changes I made in 2010:

All of these:

- Computer (duh!) w/ charger
- Verizon Air Card
- Spare battery for Computer
- Web-cam
- Mouse

Were replaced with a netbook computer (sometimes a Dell Mini 9, sometimes an Asus something or other. The itnegrated web cam is nice, and they have integral 3G broadband.

I just did a trip with only an iPad, it's close - VERY close to able to replace the netbook, but I really want the camera, when I replace my first generation 3G iPad next year with the one with the camera, I'll totally ditch the netbook.

As far as these items:

- Phone Charger

I carry THREE charger cables!

- MP3 player and Noise Canceling earbuds
You carry a crackberry? It plays music. I use an iPhone, but it also deletes the separate MP3 player.

Three paperback books

I stick to the Skymall catalog...hey look! A life-size fiberglass Yeti! Who doesn't need that?

Digital Camera
iPhone!

Mini-Mate Ionic Air Supply (especially useful when the guy next to you is a heavy smoker and smells like it, or hasn't taken a shower in a week)

Cool gizmo!

Aseptic Packed Tuna (folding spork and paper towels all in ZipLock bag),

Wait, wait - this goes in your bags and they don't freak out? It looks like a package of platique on Xray.

1 Bottle Water (picked up past security)
I carry my water bottle through empty. I just can't pay $4.00 for a bottle.

Carry On:
I have about the same setup, maybe a little more because I don't check bags, but I've recently added a vac-packed blanket and pillow, as they don't offer them in flight most times now.

At this point flying is like backpacking, only harder. I can't tell you how much I despise it, and how often I wish I could take a train and rely on being there even close to on-time. But the Northeast Regional is late 25% of the time and the trip to Chicago via the Cardinal/Hoosier line is a dismal 40% of the time it's late.
And not just a little late.

#213490 - 12/22/10 05:21 PM Re: equipped to fly? [Re: ironraven]
philip Offline
Addict

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area
Let me make another suggestion: bring along an abundance of patience and goodwill.

It's unlikely that being stranded in an airport will be life-threatening no matter how long, but we'd be surrounded by ill-tempered people in great stress. My suggestion is not to become one of them. Somewhere in the building there are some calmer people sitting around waiting for it all to conclude so they can get on with their travels. Find those people and join them. Do favors such as watching bags while people take bathroom breaks or go for food, share what you can, be of good cheer.

Remind each other that although it does suck right now, it will end and it will be a great war story next year.* Being calm and supportive is a great gift to share.

*"Why, I remember back in two thousand aught ten when we were stranded for fifteen days in Belgium! The snow was drifted to five hundred feet, and we couldn't flush the toilets because they were so far below the surface of the snow. We had ice coming out of the urinals in the men's room, and the Finns were in there skating!"

Edited by philip (12/22/10 05:22 PM)

#213492 - 12/22/10 05:28 PM Re: equipped to fly? [Re: MartinFocazio]
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: MartinFocazio
Doug,
My travel is about as frequent as yours, but I won't check bags under most circumstances.

Usually not much choice as I often need multiple outfits for different "missions" or stay multiple days. But, whatever works. A friend refuses to check and he usually looks it. He thinks it doesn't matter, but presentation does, especially when trying to be persuasive or meeting with higher ups.

My kit was similar but here's some changes I made in 2010:

All of these:

- Computer (duh!) w/ charger
- Verizon Air Card
- Spare battery for Computer
- Web-cam
- Mouse

Were replaced with a netbook computer (sometimes a Dell Mini 9, sometimes an Asus something or other. The itnegrated web cam is nice, and they have integral 3G broadband.

I just did a trip with only an iPad, it's close - VERY close to able to replace the netbook, but I really want the camera, when I replace my first generation 3G iPad next year with the one with the camera, I'll totally ditch the netbook.

I have looked at netbook options. If all I needed to do was basic email and wordsmithing would work, but they don't have enough computing power in my experience. Often doing image work, powerpoints and the like. My ultralight Toughbook weighs just 3 lb and does it all and stands up to all my abuse. Next year it'll be 5 years and time to get a new one which will have wireless built in and even longer battery life, so can drop the battery.

Just not going over to Apple for computing, too much pain.

As far as these items:

- Phone Charger

I carry THREE charger cables!

- MP3 player and Noise Canceling earbuds
You carry a crackberry? It plays music. I use an iPhone, but it also deletes the separate MP3 player.

Three paperback books

I stick to the Skymall catalog...hey look! A life-size fiberglass Yeti! Who doesn't need that?

Digital Camera
iPhone!

My ancient Crackberry barely serves as a phone and email platform. <~> Once I see what Verizon does with the iPhone next year, I'll make a decision as to iPhone or Android phone.

Mini-Mate Ionic Air Supply (especially useful when the guy next to you is a heavy smoker and smells like it, or hasn't taken a shower in a week)

Cool gizmo!

One of best investment in my mental health I ever made! I was skeptical that it would work, but it does.

Aseptic Packed Tuna (folding spork and paper towels all in ZipLock bag),

Wait, wait - this goes in your bags and they don't freak out? It looks like a package of platique on Xray.

Apparently not. <shrug>

1 Bottle Water (picked up past security)
I carry my water bottle through empty. I just can't pay $4.00 for a bottle.

Can't stomach the taste of the water at many places. Cost of doing business. <shrug>

Carry On:
I have about the same setup, maybe a little more because I don't check bags, but I've recently added a vac-packed blanket and pillow, as they don't offer them in flight most times now.

Yeah, should have mentioned I carry a Thermarest inflatable lumbar support and seat cushion always and on long trips on Southwest I carry a neck support pillow. Flying Continental is not needed since they have the adjustable headrests. 90%of my flying is on Southwest or Continental. Not looking forward to what I view as the destruction of Continental customer service with the merger with United, which I despise.

At this point flying is like backpacking, only harder. I can't tell you how much I despise it, and how often I wish I could take a train and rely on being there even close to on-time. But the Northeast Regional is late 25% of the time and the trip to Chicago via the Cardinal/Hoosier line is a dismal 40% of the time it's late.
And not just a little late.

"Despise" is a good word for it. Every opportunity or need must be balanced with the pain of flying and sometimes the pain wins out and I just say the hell with it.

Train not an option for me in any case. Only time I take a train is if I fly into New York via Newark or my flights to DC via BWI. Then the train connects me with the city transportation services.
Chairman & Executive Director
Equipped To Survive Foundation
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Phaedrus), 318 Guests and 42 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
09/01/24 05:57 PM
Best TSA Safe Multitool
by Doug_Ritter
08/31/24 02:57 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
08/24/24 11:08 PM
Alaskan attacked by a bear and shot
by Phaedrus
08/23/24 07:43 AM
Woman Lost 4 Days in Colorado Mountains Is Rescued
by dougwalkabout
08/22/24 10:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.