Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#213373 - 12/21/10 03:31 AM Changing my water purification method...again.
MichaelJ07 Offline

Loc: Michigan, USA
Hi,

I always carry my crusader cup and canteen when I leave my house for any reason. Therefore, I always have a container to boil water should I need to. However, what if my canteen cup is missing or gets smashed by some four headed monster with one big eye? The only backup I have presently is iodine (and I'm certain THAT has expired.)

So, what about these Portable Acqua tablets? Has anyone here used them?

I did a search here first (Shoot! I didn't do that much reading during my whole educational career!) So, that's why I'm asking now. Just a quick note or two would suffice for now. I guess I'm looking for real life experience here and not trusting the company's websites.

Thanks.

Mike

#213374 - 12/21/10 03:51 AM Re: Changing my water purification method...again. [Re: MichaelJ07]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: MichaelJ07
Hi,

I always carry my crusader cup and canteen when I leave my house for any reason.

Sounds a bit paranoid there but I guess security blankets can take any form and of the things one might compulsively schlep around a canteen is more benign than many others. You could compulsive about dragging around the rotting corpse of your dear aunt.

Most patent water treatments have expiration dates, compounded iodine tablets last for several years, chlorine dioxide tablets might be listed for six months. This assumes you buy them fresh. Be sure to read the directions and check the expiration dates on any you buy.

You might consider something like Polar Pure. This is essentially pure iodine crystals in a small bottle that makes it easy to create and use a saturated solution. Being pure elemental iodine Polar Pure has no expiration date, ever. One small bottle of Polar Pure will treat a very large amount of water.

Also many filters, as long as they remain unused, last a very long time.

#213381 - 12/21/10 06:29 AM Re: Changing my water purification method...again. [Re: MichaelJ07]
MichaelJ07 Offline

Never thought of myself as paranoid. People have labeled me with a few other choice descriptive words though. I just love that canteen and cup! I think you are correct though, it could easily pass as my security blanket....along with my 9mm that I never leave home without.

Thanks for the suggestions. I don't venture into some of the remote places people here venture into. I mean, it is southern Michigan after all. However, I learned here to be prepared (and in Boy Scouts....my other nick name.) I will check into that Polar Pure product. Sounds like just the ticket for me.

Again, thanks for your input. I appreciate it very much.

Mike

#213383 - 12/21/10 07:17 AM Re: Changing my water purification method...again. [Re: MichaelJ07]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Consider a steripen. Pricy, but just about as fool proof as boiling.

#213389 - 12/21/10 11:31 AM Re: Changing my water purification method...again. [Re: hikermor]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Originally Posted By: hikermor

til your batteries die.

It's Michigan - worry about cold weather killing the batteries.

#213390 - 12/21/10 01:08 PM Re: Changing my water purification method...again. [Re: MDinana]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
That is precisely why I like boiling, which is also a good bit cheaper, but at least the steripen will kill all the bad guys in the water.

#213391 - 12/21/10 01:18 PM Re: Changing my water purification method...again. [Re: Art_in_FL]
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Art_in_FL
chlorine dioxide tablets might be listed for six months. This assumes you buy them fresh. Be sure to read the directions and check the expiration dates on any you buy.

I am not sure where you got this information from. Chlorine Dioxide tablets originally had a shelf life of 3 years. That was increased to 4 years about a year and a half ago.

It should be noted that iodine treatments are not generally effective against Cryptosporidium, whereas Chlorine Dioxide is effective. That may or may not be an issue for the user depending on their concerns. Iodine has been used pretty effectively for a long time.

There's also the taste issue. Most folks find that Chlorine Dioxide has no taste whereas iodine tastes like, well, iodine. That can be solved with addition of ascorbic acid (vitamin C) after the treatment regime is done.

Every purification method has its pros and cons.
Chairman & Executive Director
Equipped To Survive Foundation
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

#213395 - 12/21/10 02:55 PM Re: Changing my water purification method...again. [Re: MDinana]
MichaelJ07 Offline

Originally Posted By: MDinana

til your batteries die.

I agree. It is Michigan and we get hit at least once with some force of nature that causes us to say, "Next time we're getting one of those things!"

That said, we also do a lot of backpacking and two day hunts where things sometimes do not go as planned and I just thought it was high time I trashed that Iodine bottle in both my FAK's (but I'll keep the Vitamin C tablets.) I've never had to use any form of water purification in all my years of being outdoors, but that shouldn't stop me from being "Equipped to Survive."

Thanks all for the suggestions. Your time means a great deal to me.

Mike

#213397 - 12/21/10 03:22 PM Re: Changing my water purification method...again. [Re: MDinana]
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: MDinana

til your batteries die.

Key is to use lithium batteries. Work in frigid cold and shelf life is 10 years +/-
Chairman & Executive Director
Equipped To Survive Foundation
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

#213429 - 12/21/10 11:32 PM Re: Changing my water purification method...again. [Re: Doug_Ritter]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Doug_Ritter

I am not sure where you got this information from. Chlorine Dioxide tablets originally had a shelf life of 3 years. That was increased to 4 years about a year and a half ago.

I base this upon the manufacturers recommendation of storage temperature of 60F to 86F. Air temperatures in the shade in summer here can push 100F and I've recorded temperatures in my storage box on my truck at better than 140F. It was hotter still in the cab.

I e-mailed Potable Aqua a long time ago asking for guidance for shelf-life at temperatures outside the recommended range but they never got back to me. So, for now, and until I get more information, I figure chlorine dioxide based treatments are only reliable for six months under local conditions. Given that decomposition for temperature are often exponential curves and given the summertime temperatures in Florida and the SW, six months might be optimistic.

Of course in those location where 86F is a hot summer day this is less likely to be an issue.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 204 Guests and 57 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
09/01/24 05:57 PM
Best TSA Safe Multitool
by Doug_Ritter
08/31/24 02:57 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
08/24/24 11:08 PM
Alaskan attacked by a bear and shot
by Phaedrus
08/23/24 07:43 AM
Woman Lost 4 Days in Colorado Mountains Is Rescued
by dougwalkabout
08/22/24 10:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.