Butane stoves or chef Stoves

I was introduced to butane stoves by chefs friends many years ago. They are very versatile, convenient, and safe. By fire code, they are allowed to be used table side in crowded restaurants. The fuel canisters can be installed or removed in less than a second. The stove can be easily operated by anyone familiar with gas ranges, if they have common sense, a rare commodity these days. Once the fuel canister is removed, the stove can be shipped or carried anywhere. If used outdoor, a wind screen may be required. The fuel can be found at many well stocked hardware and grocery stores, but your best bet is restaurant supply stores. By the case, the fuel price is very reasonable. If your normal stove is occupied with other activities, this stove can easily fill in. Last week I used one of mine when my wife forgot she was to make fudge for an evening event when she had our large stove busy with other activities. I had it made in no time at all.

I have made many meals on hunting trips from main meals to bananas flambé on the most unstable platforms. The stove is very stable. As far as large pots are concerned, the fuel canister is protected by a closed lid protecting it from reflected heat. Most of the pots and saute pans I use are very large and heavy and I have never over heated the stove, in fact that is one of the benefits of this stove. Once I have removed the pan or pot, within seconds, the stove grate is cool enough to handle by hand.

All my permanent, alternate locations, and my truck have a butane stove and fuel since it is so convenient. Cold temperatures are its only weakness. But I usually cure that problem before I use this stove.

I carry a number of different fuel stoves with me in my truck, from multi fuel to Kelly Kettles, but if I feel lazy, I just use my butane stove. This stove comes in various forms and can be obtained with storage cases for travel.

Edited by turbo (12/19/10 03:04 AM)