Good topic bsmith,

I was going to respond to the PLB thread but yours is more to the point about traveling alone.

I sometimes hike or camp alone, usually when I want to test my survival ability in a certain enviroment or season. I often hunt alone and prefer it, only seeing my companions in the very early morning and again after dark at camp. I am a far more successful hunter this way (other that when doing drives) and being alone really helps me absorb nature to the fullest.

About 50 to 75 days a year I work alone in the forest of Northeastern Ontario, sometimes I am on the highway corridor, other times I am deep in the bush by ATV, snowmobile or boat. My employer provides me with lots of communication methods being; 2 way radio, cell phone, Sat phone and PLB but sometimes an emergency can happen very quickly and leave you exposed to the elements.

Many examples come to mind but a common one here at this time of year is going through the ice. The best thing to rescue you is a Partner with a throwbag, but with a flotation suit and ice picks self-rescue is possible. After you get out then you need to call for help (an on-person waterproof PLB is a real asset), and get yourself warm ASAP; get to your vehicle, break into a cabin, start a fire, whatever it takes. A Partner is also beneficial at this "Get Warm Again" stage.

After an accident a Partner is also important, you may be injured to the point where you cannot call for help or if you do it may be a long time arriving. It is during this time that a Partner can protect you from the enviroment and administer 1st Aid to keep you alive.

A partner may also keep you from getting into trouble, an extra pair of hands or eyes can prevent the incident from ever happening (e.g. freeing a snowmobile stuck in the slush).

I spend a lot of time alone in the bush, I try to be as safe as possible and plan/prepare for anticipated emergencies. I also really enjoy being alone, but as I move into middle-age I realize that it would be safer if I had a partner more often.

Mike