Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#213005 - 12/14/10 01:14 PM Re: 1st Look: ACR ResQLink - Smallest Lightest PLB YET [Re: falcon5000]
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: falcon5000
"PLBs currently are prohibited from having rechargeable batteries."

Doug, rechargeable or replaceable? If McMurdo can have replaceable batteries,can ACR have the same thing or is that strictly a US law? Also is there any way they can put a external adapter to allow plug in to a car battery, solar, battery pack or so forth to work around the law?
http://www.rei.com/product/791973

I had waited for ACR to come out with something awhile back but due to how slow they are to come to production with things I ended up with the fast find 210 and like it except for the cap design. The ACR looks very nice and I like the design and when it's time to replace mine for batteries I may get one unless McMurdo Counters this design by making a removable battery and a a better design of the cap which holds the antenna to allow for multiple use, which really is a small design change to counter this design. I hope ACR will look into seeing if there is a way to add replaceable batteries and or external power jack as a workaround before release of production. They had said first quarter release, I'm thinking very late 1st quarter or slip into second quarter at the very least. With a replaceable battery pack, a extra battery can be modified to accept external power, I did that with the steripen and other devices to where I can hook it to a regulator and a solar cell.

Anyway, thanks for the update and hopefully the competition between the different manufactures will continue to lead to better products.

Replaceable is allowed, rechargeable is not, at this time. All the batteries are replaceable, but only the one model of McMurdo is readily user replaceable. You will note that the follow-on generation is NOT replaceable. It caused many issues and was not deemed to be a success or an an important feature. Nobody else has done it for good reason.

External power is not allowed. PLBs are self-contained distress beacons that are designed to sit around for years and then work when needed.

Some manufacturers want to be able to use rechargeable batteries for power density reasons (IOW so they can be made smaller), BUT so far the U.S. has balked and see no signs of that changing soon. It is revisited regularly and at some point I expect it will be allowed, when other issues are addressed. Most critically, the idea is they need to work reliably and even when ignored for long periods of time.

To date, the market has not demanded these features. PLBs are evolving and there are other devices, such as SPOT, that address some of these issues, but all represent compromises. You pick the compromise that works best for you.
Chairman & Executive Director
Equipped To Survive Foundation
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

#213006 - 12/14/10 02:02 PM Re: 1st Look: ACR ResQLink - Smallest Lightest PLB YET [Re: Doug_Ritter]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Doug -- Is battery type an FCC issue or an FAA issue? Seems FCC shouldn't care, but FAA very much cares that the unit have stringent battery life/reliability specs.

With a rechargeable battery that spec would be lost. Even with zero leakage, when was it last used and when was it last recharged?

Perhaps a non-FAA compliant PLB could be made for non-aircraft use that uses a rechargeable battery, but would it be in the manufacturer's interest to make it? Who gets blamed when the rechargeable isn't and the battery fails?

Thinking out loud . .

#213007 - 12/14/10 02:12 PM Re: 1st Look: ACR ResQLink - Smallest Lightest PLB YET [Re: Russ]
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Russ
Doug -- Is battery type an FCC issue or an FAA issue? Seems FCC shouldn't care, but FAA very much cares that the unit have stringent battery life/reliability specs.

With a rechargeable battery that spec would be lost. Even with zero leakage, when was it last used and when was it last recharged?

Perhaps a non-FAA compliant PLB could be made for non-aircraft use that uses a rechargeable battery, but would it be in the manufacturer's interest to make it? Who gets blamed when the rechargeable isn't and the battery fails?

Thinking out loud . .

The FAA has nothing to do with PLBs. The FCC basically just adopts the RTCM PLB standard which incorporates and builds upon COSPAS-SARSAT standards. This is an RTCM SC110 issue and any changes will come via SC110/COSPAS-SARSAT.
Chairman & Executive Director
Equipped To Survive Foundation
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

#213011 - 12/14/10 02:59 PM Re: 1st Look: ACR ResQLink - Smallest Lightest PLB YET [Re: Doug_Ritter]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Thanks, a little search brings me to: What Price Your Life? Distress Alerting as a Commercial Service
Quote:
The RTCM (Radio Technical Commission for Maritime Services) Annual Meeting and Conference was held the week of May 5, 2008. I was asked to make a presentation as part of a panel discussing “Innovative Satellite Technologies.” Invitations to be included on the panel were sent to a number of organizations currently marketing distress alerting and distress communications services, or planning to do so (SPOT, the only service currently being marketed to consumers, was invited according to RTCM, but did not attend). My topic wasn’t about any particular service, per se, but rather was addressed to those attending or considering such service. The provocative title was, “What Price Your Life? Distress Alerting as a Commercial Service.”

While RTCM is ostensibly about maritime service, by the vagaries of such things, they have also become the standard setting body in the United States for PLBs (Personal Locator Beacons). The RTCM SC110 sub-committee develops standards for PLBs, as well as EPIRBs. I have been involved for some time now as the sole “consumer advocate” on a committee made up of industry, manufacturer, government and search and rescue representatives. A revised RTCM standard for PLBs was approved just prior to the annual meeting (click for more about this revised standard). A revised RTCM standard for EPIRBs is next on the agenda.. . .

#213012 - 12/14/10 03:10 PM Re: 1st Look: ACR ResQLink - Smallest Lightest PLB YET [Re: Russ]
Russ Offline
Geezer

More at A Better PLB Standard Approved

Note that the article was written June 3, 2008. It shows the process of revising a standard. It isn't like one guy makes the decision.

#213030 - 12/14/10 08:06 PM Re: 1st Look: ACR ResQLink - Smallest Lightest PLB YET [Re: Doug_Ritter]
Glock-A-Roo Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: Doug_Ritter
Right now there's no perfect solution.

Yeah, that's pretty much the long & short of it right there. At least there's forward progress.

#214067 - 01/01/11 01:53 PM Re: 1st Look: ACR ResQLink - Smallest Lightest PLB YET [Re: Doug_Ritter]
jshannon Offline
Addict

Loc: North Texas
I'll be a little surprised if ACR is truly competitive in pricing. We'll see if they price it within 100 bucks of the McMurdo.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 451 Guests and 46 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
The price of gold
by brandtb
09/27/24 07:40 PM
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
09/01/24 05:57 PM
Best TSA Safe Multitool
by Doug_Ritter
08/31/24 02:57 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.