Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#212998 - 12/14/10 06:42 AM Re: Carrying small meds (OTC) cases/ boxes? [Re: TeacherRO]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
I occasionally cruise the travel med section of pharmacies and try to find the smallest OTC labeled bottles for my FAK - relatively unbreakable plastic bottles are a plus. I use clear tape, contact paper, or nail polish to help the label survive.

[Off topic: For prescription meds all you can do is ask the pharmacy staff for their smallest container. Treat the label the same. Be sure the prescription is current!]

#213001 - 12/14/10 11:23 AM Re: Carrying small meds (OTC) cases/ boxes? [Re: TeacherRO]
nursemike Offline
Old Hand

Loc: wellington, fl
Hospitals use small plastic sterile evacuated tubes for blood collection. some have chemicals in them-heparin, edta, or a gel to preserve, anti-coagulate, or separate the serum for lab use-but the red ones are usually chemical free, and will hold a single column of motrin. It's a waterproof, crush resistant, relatively compact solution. These items have expiration dates on them, and are often discarded as they out-date-usually can be had for the asking. I have also fabricated some waterproof containers from empty liter IV fluid bags-cut the top off, dry, add FAK, fold the top over three times and clamp with binder clips. it's a low cost version of the aloksak technology, and has proven more durable than similar contrivances using ziplok bags.

#217952 - 02/25/11 03:18 AM Re: Carrying small meds (OTC) cases/ boxes? [Re: dweste]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: dweste
A challenge: you, anyone using your kit, and any law enforcement need to know instantly what you are carrying, which makes the single dose travel packets attractive, but the packaging-to-content volume in a small PFAK or FAK is not attractive.

Good point : label everything clearly including dose and exp. date.

I'll post photos of some possible solutions.

Teacher

#217962 - 02/25/11 09:21 AM Re: Carrying small meds (OTC) cases/ boxes? [Re: TeacherRO]
BorkBorkBork Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Sweden
During my latest trip to the jungles of northern Thailand, I kept all my meds in small ziplock bags which then was kept in an Otterbox. For me that worked great.

#217964 - 02/25/11 11:50 AM Re: Carrying small meds (OTC) cases/ boxes? [Re: TeacherRO]
bws48 Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Anne Arundel County, Maryland

I have found that just about any of the OTC containers, once you remove the inner foil seal, do not work well to preserve and protect the contents from humidity, oxygen and permit them to loose effectiveness fairly quickly. This is especially true if they are carried in a kit and subjected to changes in temp. and humidity.

The solution that works for me is not a med. container, but match cases, specifically the orange plastic screw top ones with the black plastic/rubber ring between the top and the case. Made by Coghlan's (no affiliation) and probably others. See: http://www.coghlans.com/products/plastic-match-box-8746

It holds a reasonable number of pills and keeps them safe and dry. A bit of duct tape and a marker will label them for you, or, as I do just mark the top.

I have yet to find anything better in any "made for the purpose" pill case, all of which seem to let more or less air into the case causing the meds to loose effectiveness quickly.

The only other realistic alternative is the individually sealed foil packets of pills.

#217966 - 02/25/11 01:41 PM Re: Carrying small meds (OTC) cases/ boxes? [Re: bws48]
NAro Offline
Addict

I found very small zip lock bags in a craft store. They're intended for beads or tiny parts. Some might put illegal substances in them....

I put OTC meds in these, labeled with a sharpie, and I cut out the name portion of the original package. I put prescription drugs in them, and affix the label that goes on the original bottle. Pharmacists will print an extra label for you if you ask.

Then everything goes into a air/water/crush proof box like an otter box.

#217968 - 02/25/11 01:46 PM Re: Carrying small meds (OTC) cases/ boxes? [Re: NAro]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Particularly for meds that I might hand out on request, the travel packets are the way to go.

#218040 - 02/26/11 11:20 PM Re: Carrying small meds (OTC) cases/ boxes? [Re: hikermor]
ILBob Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Northern IL

Bob

#218211 - 03/01/11 10:27 PM Re: Carrying small meds (OTC) cases/ boxes? [Re: TeacherRO]
CJK Offline
Addict

Loc: FL, USA
I've kept the containers for the travel dramamine, advil, tylenol, aleve etc.....they are the perfect size and relatively watertight. They survive an extended dunking though I will admit one didn't last the washing machine.... not surprised though. It was also old so that may have contributed to the seal leaking. I scrape off the label and write my own. Compact and very durable.

#218212 - 03/01/11 11:28 PM Re: Carrying small meds (OTC) cases/ boxes? [Re: TeacherRO]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
After being pulled over for speeding, the son of a client was arrested, prosecuted, fined, and is on three years probation because he was found with pills in a bottle whose label was worn off. This was considered a separate offense.

It that turned out the pills were the last of an expired painkiller prescription. Possession of these was considered a second and separate offense.

The county prosecuted under federal drug laws that the U.S. Attorney for the jurisdiction declined to prosecute.

Even getting the doctor to verify the original prescription and to write a new, current prescription was considered by the court to be no defense.

I do not want to be arrested pending a report from the lab on what kind of pills I am carrying. Original packages and labels in all my FAKs. Only current prescription meds in original containers with legible labels.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 529 Guests and 49 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
09/01/24 05:57 PM
Best TSA Safe Multitool
by Doug_Ritter
08/31/24 02:57 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
08/24/24 11:08 PM
Alaskan attacked by a bear and shot
by Phaedrus
08/23/24 07:43 AM
Woman Lost 4 Days in Colorado Mountains Is Rescued
by dougwalkabout
08/22/24 10:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.