Originally Posted By: hikermor
The MSR Pocket Rocket is, hands down, my most used stove ... you can use any brand with a Lindahl(sp?) valve.
In the US, that's pretty much true. The canisters with Lindal valves generally have the standard 7/16ths UNEF threaded connector on them.

HOWEVER, in many places, Europe in particular, Lindal valved canisters will not be threaded. Instead the non-threaded Camping Gaz type Lindal valve canisters are more prevalent. You can buy an adapter, or you can buy an MSR Superfly stove which can take either type of Lindal valve canister, the standard threaded or Camping Gaz non-threaded.

Note: In Eastern Europe and the Middle East, from what I've read, the older type, piercable canisters are all that are available. This type of canister does not have a valve (Lindal or otherwise) and cannot be safely removed from the stove until the canister is empty.

All that said, as much as I like the Pocket Rocket, you have to know where you're going to be using it. The standard, threaded Lindal valved canisters that we take for granted in the North America, Great Britain, Australia, South Korea, and New Zealand (and possibly a few other places) aren't necessarily available elsewhere.

HJ