Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#21286 - 11/13/03 02:00 PM Snare/Fishing Kit
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have recently put together a pocket snare/ fishing kit for my vest. It is contained in a round Altoids citrus candy tin. The round tin doesn't kink the wire as a square one does. The homemade snares are fashoned from 24 lb. test picture hanging wire, each 36 inches in length. The eyes are formed around a small dowel about 1/2 the diameter of a pencil. The tin holds eight snares coiled comfortably with room for some fishing hooks and small lures and flies, an ample supply of 10 lb. test line and a small vial of scent to remove the human aroma. I haven't decided what scent to include yet. I have thought about using anise oil which is effective on fishing lures and could be used in conjunction with the fishing kit if it is found not to repel small game. Maybe a pair of rubber surgical gloves will be included also to also help prevent human odor. I would also like to find a way to disguise the shiny finish of the wire. Any ideas?

#21287 - 11/13/03 02:40 PM Re: Snare/Fishing Kit
Anonymous
Unregistered

Sounds like a really useful food gathering kit. Not sure I would bother with the scent. It is easy enough to remove the human scent with expedient items such as birch bark or smoke or pine pitch or skunk cabbage etc. The space could be used well enough to include a few flys for fishing or a bit more line or some sinkers or a little foam float.

To remove the shine from the picture wire, throw it in a smokey cool fire (burning leaves or such) then get it wet and let it start to rust then dry it out and oil it with something like bacon fat. The bacon fat will add a smell that will probably over-power any human scent and if you put it on really thin (while the wire and the fat are hot) it won't make too much of a mess. Take care that the time in the fire doesn't get it too hot. You only want to scorch and soot up the outside not ruin the temper.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 441 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Use of mirror, helicopter pilot notices
by Phaedrus
10/03/24 05:15 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
10/01/24 12:34 AM
The price of gold
by brandtb
09/27/24 07:40 PM
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.