Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#212834 - 12/11/10 01:07 AM Re: Composing a fire kit, and I need help! [Re: sybert777]
raptor Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Europe
I would say from my experience and experience of others that carrying a lot of fuel for the fire (more than you think you need) is more important than carrying a lot of firestarters.

Carrying different firestarters and backups is smart, no doubt about that. But if I were to choose (for example because of the weight/space limit) between these two options:
3 firestarters plus small amount of fuel vs. 1 reliable firestarter plus lots of fuel I would pick the second one.
In reality this won't probably happen since I carry backups but I try to keep the firestarters somewhat small and make room for more fuel (tinder, kindling) instead.

When I got StrikeForce I thought how great it was - massive rod, big sparks, good for working with gloves on etc. but soon I realized that a middle sized version of "Swedish firesteel" type firestarter would still get the job done, would save a lot of weight and room that could be used for more fuel.

Of course I might change my opinion on this in the future and change my firestarters size/weight:fuel size/weight ratio based on another experience but now I think that more fuel is the better option.
It also depends on the weather, season of the year etc.

#212836 - 12/11/10 01:15 AM Re: Composing a fire kit, and I need help! [Re: sybert777]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
I am assuming your EDC, PSK, and camping gear all include fire starting stuff, which means on a camping trip you are always carrying a "kit" with multiple options if you are ETS.

I would have, for example: an EDC lighter and key-chain striker-ferro rod; a PSK spark-and-tinder quick plus a few REI matches and strike strip; and in the camping gear more REI matches and strike strips in a match safe, another lighter, a knife-ferro-rod-magnesium bar, and a piezeo-electric propane stove.

Of course we all know when you assume, you can make an "ass" of "u" and "me."

#212837 - 12/11/10 01:32 AM Re: Composing a fire kit, and I need help! [Re: sybert777]
rebwa Offline
Enthusiast

I agree with having sufficient fire tinder. I live in the PNW with an abundance of wood and rain. During the wet and cold season I always carry wet fire, cotton balls with vaseline and some fat wood. And I do carry at least 3 different ways to ignite a fire which includes a one handed method if injured. All that plus Doug's kit as another option.

One other thing to consider is always having a sturdy knife with you to shave some wood up to get the fire going. I also have some aluminum foil in my fire kit to make a little holder for the tender to shove up under the dry wood.

Probably the most important thing in getting a fire going in wet conditions is gathering and preparing the wood beforehand. Igniting the tinder is the easy part--getting a hot fire going can take some nursing it along.

#212839 - 12/11/10 01:57 AM Re: Composing a fire kit, and I need help! [Re: hikermor]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
Originally Posted By: hikermor
ireckon, we knew you were matchless!

Matches work fine, as long as you have a good, bombproof container. In that mode, they have come through for me for years. Something as simple as a 35mm film container can serve, although the K&M match container is far better. Exotac also makes a fairly expensive container that looks pretty good - I have no personal experience with it. For emergency situations, matches on steroids (REI Stormproofs or Lifeboat matches) are the way to go, because the standard kitchen matches are not made to the standard common some years ago.

Actually, I have been using a butane lighter as my first line gadget for lighting fires and stoves and I really can't recall when I had to go to another source of ignition. It has been at least a decade ago.
I generally use a lighter 95% of the time (unless I'm deliberately practicing with a fire steel). Just so convenient.

I've got a Spark-lite in my PSK as a back up.

But I still carry matches. There are times when a lighter has a hard time, for example when lighting a lantern. Sometimes it's nice to be able to have a long thing match that can go through holes and such. Also, when building a wood fire, sometimes it's nice to be able to angle that match up under things in a way that I couldn't with a butane lighter. YMMV.

HJ

#212844 - 12/11/10 02:45 AM Re: Composing a fire kit, and I need help! [Re: Hikin_Jim]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Originally Posted By: Hikin_Jim

But I still carry matches. There are times when a lighter has a hard time, for example when lighting a lantern. Sometimes it's nice to be able to have a long thing match that can go through holes and such. Also, when building a wood fire, sometimes it's nice to be able to angle that match up under things in a way that I couldn't with a butane lighter. YMMV.

HJ
I ran across a dandy refillable butane lighter with a retractable tube that nicely solves this problem. It is about the size of a standard Bic lighter when retracted. I believe, though, that if I had to light a traditional Coleman mantle lantern, I would still need a match or a long splinter. I still have a Coleman lantern, but it is semi-retired (like me); mostly I will be using LED lanterns in the next power failure.

Actually I am still nostalgic about carbide lanterns. They provided heat and light and were an absolutely guaranteed fire starter.

#212904 - 12/12/10 11:15 PM Re: Composing a fire kit, and I need help! [Re: sybert777]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

One thing I do is hand out fire kits to those I'm hiking with: Ziploc with lighter, matches in case, tinder. They carry my spares. Also a tiny bic in the ol' first aid kit..

#212910 - 12/13/10 12:10 AM Re: Composing a fire kit, and I need help! [Re: sybert777]
Murph Offline
Stranger

Loc: Virginia
I noticed someone mentioning TP as tinder... I recently heard a trick about using the little TP packet from MREs as tinder. I haven't tried yet, but it sounds like a decent idea.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 441 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Use of mirror, helicopter pilot notices
by Phaedrus
10/03/24 05:15 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
10/01/24 12:34 AM
The price of gold
by brandtb
09/27/24 07:40 PM
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.