I have little use for lithiums, other than for one thing - a rarely used high drain application. The weapons light on my home defense shotgun. For that I use two high quality top tier CR123 primaries (not rechargeables).

Other than that, NiMH is what I use for day to day stuff. I have both regular rechargeable NiMH and Eneloops. For things like my flashlights, the regular NiMH are just fine. There is no such thing as "long term sitting on a shelf" when it comes to flashlights for me. I use them daily. My MAHA MH-C401FS charger recharges NiMH so fast that I don't have to worry about not having a set of freshly charged batteries when I need them. For the unforseen circumstance where I might, that's what the Eneloops are for (I charge the Eneloops in the MAHA too - the charger that comes with them is garbage). I also keep quite a few alkalines for additional backup.

If I need to start a fire, I'll just use simple matches rather than the more tedious Li-Ion flame generation techniques. Li-Ion is a good technology for dedicated battery/device matchups that are well engineered. But as a general purpose mix-n-match battery/device pairing with separate manual charging, it's too dangerous for the general population IMHO.