Batteries:

I keep lots of NiMH AA and AAAs on hand, and I've standardized most things on these cell types. Eneloops or Duracell white-top rechargeables ("Duraloops") are very, very good.

I lucked out and got an 8-pack of Eneloop dummy-cell adapters so I can use AAs in C or D lights.

I also keep a couple of 48-cell generic AA alkaline packs on hand for rarely used items or to hand out to others. I can usually find them for $9 on sale. I've had very good luck with these generic alkalines -- I think I've only had one or two dud cells over all the years I've used them.

NiMH chargers:

It's more efficient to have a direct DC plug than to use an inverter.

I have three of the Duracell Mobile Chargers (CEF23DX4N). You can often find them on sale for $15-20. I'm very impressed -- they don't cook my batteries and have even resurrected some I thought were useless. CPF gives these a good rating too. Includes 12VDC plug for lighter socket. Independent channels and slow charge get the best out of each cell.

(Independent channels are important to me because I have several headlamps that use three AA or AAA cells, and several 1-AA lights also.)

Given my bank of solar panels and my stock of NiMHs, I could keep things going for quite a long while.