Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#212289 - 12/03/10 11:04 AM Re: Stopping a Cruise Ship [Re: Susan]
MostlyHarmless Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Norway
Originally Posted By: Susan
The anchors of cruise ships weigh 15 to 25 tons (not including the chain), and they're pointy at each end. And you don't think one of these things (esp swinging) could do some damage to a ship???

The anchors and their mountings are designed so the anchors can be dropped without hitting anything. (or at least should be).

The real issue is: What happens when those anchors hit the bottom? Firstly, As Art pointed out, if the anchor actually gets properly stuck you will be very lucky if the only thing that breaks is the chain. (And that is the way I would design things - to let the anchor mountings take considerably more strain than the chains).

Secondly, dropping an anchor could seriously conflict with the ships navigation. Which is NOT a trivial thing if you're close to land or in busy ship lanes or just happens to pass near another ship. The forces involved when handling a ship this size is NOT something you play with.

Dropping the anchor is an act of emergency for situations with no propulsion. Usually, the anchor drags along the bottom with considerably resistance (friction) digging into the mud, slowing but not stopping the ship's movement.

#212294 - 12/03/10 01:46 PM Re: Stopping a Cruise Ship [Re: bsmith]
Tyber Offline
Sheriff
Enthusiast

Loc: ST. Paul MN
OK here is my question,

how the heck did he get to do this? I am not nearly aware enough of boats and ships to know what would happen if the anchor had grabbed on to something. But from a security aspect, how did this drunk guy get into an area where this can be done?

I am truly sorry that anyone was put into any form of danger and that anyone was put at risk. You would think that if dropping an anchor is a dangerous as we think, that there would be more security to prevent it happening (beyond a camera) when someone hits a fifth of vodka and is feeling all nautical.

#212302 - 12/03/10 04:17 PM Re: Stopping a Cruise Ship [Re: bsmith]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
What's interesting to me is the legal aspect. The ship was in international waters near Mexico. The FBI of the U.S. is prosecuting. I thought the country in which the ship is registered has jurisdiction for criminal acts on a ship. So, either the ship is registered in the U.S. or the FBI got jurisdiction some other way. Extradition? Long arm of the law?

#212304 - 12/03/10 05:21 PM Re: Stopping a Cruise Ship [Re: ireckon]
bsmith Offline
day hiker
Addict

Loc: ventura county, ca
Originally Posted By: ireckon
What's interesting to me is the legal aspect. The ship was in international waters near Mexico. The FBI of the U.S. is prosecuting. I thought the country in which the ship is registered has jurisdiction for criminal acts on a ship. So, either the ship is registered in the U.S. or the FBI got jurisdiction some other way. Extradition? Long arm of the law?

this event is a great education experience on many levels - especially in light of the previous post. that's why i posted this.

in this case the fbi has jurisdiction. go here for details: Crime on the High Seas

this guy fits.

so if we do want to cruise we may want to ensure we come under their jurisdiction.

#212306 - 12/03/10 05:34 PM Re: Stopping a Cruise Ship [Re: bsmith]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
Originally Posted By: bsmith
so if we do want to cruise we may want to ensure we come under their jurisdiction.

My sense is that if this case happened off the coast of South America and the FBI did NOT have jurisdiction, then the news probably wouldn't even make it to a blog. The guy would probably just disappear..."Hey, whatever happened to that guy Rick Ehlert? He just kind of fell off the face of the earth."

#212309 - 12/03/10 06:31 PM Re: Stopping a Cruise Ship [Re: ireckon]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
'The guy would probably just disappear..."Hey, whatever happened to that guy Rick Ehlert? He just kind of fell off the face of the earth."'

A. Might not be a bad idea... it's cheaper. grin

B. It also might explain some shipboard disappearances. wink

Sue

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
June
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online
0 registered (), 534 Guests and 20 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Lost in Northern California Mountains for 10 Days
by Ren
Yesterday at 08:36 PM
Growing a Garden in 2024?
by Eugene
Yesterday at 06:46 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
06/23/24 06:12 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by clearwater
06/12/24 11:25 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
06/09/24 07:45 PM
EDC Reduction
by paulr
06/04/24 10:30 AM
Recent Signal Mirror Successes - more wanted
by paulr
06/03/24 08:35 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.