Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#212020 - 11/28/10 05:11 PM Re: New Yorker Give Thanks to KnifeRights Foundation [Re: acropolis5]
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: acropolis5
Doug, Good Work. Is that legal brief available on-line?

No, for obviously reasons it is considered proprietary for now.
Chairman & Executive Director
Equipped To Survive Foundation
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

#212049 - 11/29/10 05:03 PM Re: New Yorker Give Thanks to KnifeRights Foundation [Re: Doug_Ritter]
Nato7 Offline

Loc: Ontario, Canada
It is unfortunate that New York is indulging in irresponsible application of a non existent law.

Canada is slightly different in some respects.

The Criminal Code specifically states that gravity, mechanical activated, punch knives, etc are deemed prohibited weapons.

There is much rumor about a rule of thumb utilised by the police that a knife must have a 3" long blade or less. However, this is just a rule of thumb. As Canada is comprised of such diverse regions it would be almost impossible to enforce.

Here is some of what I have learned or discovered over the years in Canada:

1) Do not behave like a fool. Always conduct yourself as though you are being watched. If you do not act irresponsibly there is no reason to believe you are a threat.

2) Respect those spaces not your own. On more than one occasion I have wondered onto a site where the floor manager has requested that I surrender my utility knife (to pickup later) or do not bring it into the space. Although inconvenient, I do my best to comply.

3) Your knife must be on display (in my case attached to my belt on the right side). LEO(s) must be able to see it otherwise it will deemed a concealed weapon.

4) Don’t bring a machete to an urban area, unless you are chopping down vegetation. The police take a dim view of this.

5) Finally, if the LEO attending a scene deems that the knife constitutes a threat you must surrender it.

I forgot, this is my first post. Hello everyone.

#212054 - 11/29/10 06:10 PM Re: New Yorker Give Thanks to KnifeRights Foundation [Re: Doug_Ritter]
Jesselp Offline
What's Next?
Enthusiast

Loc: New York
Originally Posted By: Doug_Ritter
Originally Posted By: KG2V
Living in Queens, this obviously distresses me

A key to not being arrested, at this point, is to be sure you DO NOT carry a knife clipped to your pocket in NYC. That is the "probable cause" of almost all the arrests we are seeing that involve no other "criminal activity." Whether that is legally probable cause is another issue entirely that has gone both ways in lower court rulings.

Thanks for this advice. I go into the city quite often, and I always have a knife clipped to my pants pocket. I need to be better about dropping it IN to the pocket before going into NYC.

BTW, any thoughts on the consequences of them finding an assisted opening folding knife in my bag during one of the "random bag checks" before getting on a subway or the LIRR?

#212060 - 11/29/10 08:25 PM Re: New Yorker Give Thanks to KnifeRights Foundation [Re: Jesselp]
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Jesselp

BTW, any thoughts on the consequences of them finding an assisted opening folding knife in my bag during one of the "random bag checks" before getting on a subway or the LIRR?

I cannot speak to the LIRR. The DA and the NYPD, acting as his surrogates, are treating just about any one-hand opening lock-blade knife as a gravity knife and any assisted opener as a switchblade.

After your arrest, please contact Knife Rights immediately. <no g>
Chairman & Executive Director
Equipped To Survive Foundation
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
June
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online
1 registered (chaosmagnet), 421 Guests and 13 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
EDC Reduction
by paulr
06/04/24 10:30 AM
Recent Signal Mirror Successes - more wanted
by paulr
06/03/24 08:35 AM
Hoover Stew
by dougwalkabout
05/26/24 03:03 AM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/23/24 06:24 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/17/24 03:49 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
05/16/24 09:49 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.