http://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/en-...roduct-Lighting

A couple of weeks ago I picked up the little Orbit Lantern from Black Diamond to add to my lantern collection. I’d been looking for something that didn’t have glare for reading, something that all of my other lanterns had. After playing with it and using it to read by, I’ll report that I’m very happy with it.

And it has some practical user friendly features. One being when closed the cover slips down over the on/off button making it impossible to turn on by mistake in a backpack. By holding down the switch the lantern dims from 45 to 10 lums. Another useful feature is the battery compartment is marked clearly on the outside of the compartment on which way the batteries go in, a nice little feature for operating without the benefit of bright city lights. The lantern can sit on a table or be hung.

It runs on 4 AAA batteries and does come with the option of a charger. I didn’t go with the charger as I normally use eneloop batteries. Run time is 15 hours on high and 24 hours on low. The weight is 4.8 ounces.

The lantern comes in black/dark brown, orange and lime green. I went with the orange for higher visibility in my pack.

Overall, I’m very pleased with this little lantern both for home/vehicle emergency use and in a backpack.

Edited by rebwa (02/05/11 04:22 PM)