Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#211851 - 11/23/10 09:19 PM Re: Cigar tubes? [Re: 6pac]
ChicagoCraig Offline

Originally Posted By: 6pac
I carried 2 of my maglites to a machine shop aroung here to do the very same thing, I even had the caps for both ends. The gentlemen there told me that it would be "real expensive to chase those threads", he acted like he didn't wanna do it. So I left. Was it that hard to do?

There are two ways that I know of to cut the treads. Either by lathe or tap. A tap in that size is very expensive and can probably distort the tube if not done properly. The other way is the way my machinist cut them which was on a manual lathe--there is plenty of labor involved plus machine bit wear and tear. The tube also has to be cut evenly so the cap will seat properly onto the tube when tightened--and the tube end needs to has a slight chamfer to help the o-ring 'get skinny' (without tearing) and seal into the tube.

#211871 - 11/24/10 05:45 AM Re: Cigar tubes? [Re: TeacherRO]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Loc: here
I had thought of those but I ended up experimenting with craft bead tubes. These and coin tubes are available at the craft/hobby store. Look in the Photo Gallery for my tube and its contents (shameless plug).

#211879 - 11/24/10 12:57 PM Re: Cigar tubes? [Re: TeacherRO]
JBMat Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NC
DW had some Epi-pens for her allergies expire. I kept the plastic tubes they came in. The top seals pretty well, and I think I could waterproof it with some duct tape or silicone sealant if I had to.

Just another idea to float out there.

#211881 - 11/24/10 02:45 PM Re: Cigar tubes? [Re: TeacherRO]
barbakane Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Florida
Went to Wally World, and by the vitamins and supplements, where I get my ClifBars, there are tubes of Super Whey Protein. The tubes are about 2.5mm thick, 6.5 inches long, and have an inside diameter of 1 1/8 inches, and have a screw on top. Thick plastic, very rugged and cheap, about $1.25. I dump the contents and use the tube. I have about ten of them, and use them for FAKs, extra batteries, pre-measured drink mixes, meds, anything that will fit.

#211885 - 11/24/10 04:54 PM Re: Cigar tubes? [Re: TeacherRO]
Erik_B Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Somewhere in my own little wor...
i find that a series of tubes makes for excellent, compact storage.

(also, insert internet joke here.)

Edited by Erik_B (11/24/10 04:56 PM)

Originally Posted By: ironraven
...Shopping appeals to the soul of the hunter-gatherer.

#211889 - 11/24/10 09:36 PM Re: Cigar tubes? [Re: ChicagoCraig]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: ChicagoCraig
Originally Posted By: 6pac
I carried 2 of my maglites to a machine shop aroung here to do the very same thing, I even had the caps for both ends. The gentlemen there told me that it would be "real expensive to chase those threads", he acted like he didn't wanna do it. So I left. Was it that hard to do?

There are two ways that I know of to cut the treads. Either by lathe or tap. A tap in that size is very expensive and can probably distort the tube if not done properly. The other way is the way my machinist cut them which was on a manual lathe--there is plenty of labor involved plus machine bit wear and tear. The tube also has to be cut evenly so the cap will seat properly onto the tube when tightened--and the tube end needs to has a slight chamfer to help the o-ring 'get skinny' (without tearing) and seal into the tube.

go over to candle power forums and look for the homemade/machining section, there are people with mini lathes who can do things like that.

#211890 - 11/24/10 11:53 PM Re: Cigar tubes? [Re: Eugene]
RayW Offline
Addict

Loc: Orlando, FL
Originally Posted By: Eugene

go over to candle power forums and look for the homemade/machining section, there are people with mini lathes who can do things like that.

Finding a hobby machinist is going to be your best bet. Finding a machine shop that is willing to to one of a kind work can be difficult. Actually doing the job is not difficult when you have the right toys, but it takes time. The last job shop I worked at the owner would have looked at a job like that and said that will be $75 an hour with a three hour minimum if we were busy and if it was slow he might have settled for $100. So chasing a few threads can be expensive.

#213122 - 12/16/10 01:46 AM Re: Cigar tubes? [Re: TeacherRO]
Comanche7 Offline
Addict

Loc: Florida
I went to a local cigar store and spoke with the manager for a while, ended up being gifted with about 20 aluminum cigar tubes.

Most of them are currently holding one chem light each. We had a problem with some of our chem lights being accidently activated in our pouches / packs etc. and now that they are in the tubes, that problem is history.

We leave the chem lights in their original sealed packaging and just fold it over the ends of the chem lights until the chem lights and their packaging fit the tubes.

Regards,
Comanche7

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 666 Guests and 52 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
09/01/24 05:57 PM
Best TSA Safe Multitool
by Doug_Ritter
08/31/24 02:57 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
08/24/24 11:08 PM
Alaskan attacked by a bear and shot
by Phaedrus
08/23/24 07:43 AM
Woman Lost 4 Days in Colorado Mountains Is Rescued
by dougwalkabout
08/22/24 10:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.