Fire starter
Paracord belt
Leatherman Wave

#21181 - 11/11/03 01:51 AM Re: What else do I put in my PSK
Comanche7 Offline
Addict

Loc: Florida
Hi lostscout,

Welcome to ETS. Your list is a decent start.

Have you considered a small pocket sized mirror? Sure a nice one would be a StarFlash, however, for just getting a kit going, I simply went to a local food store and picked up a ladies cosmetic mirror for about $2. Later as I was able to start upgrading my kit components, I got a StarFlash. This is thge approach that I've used in other kits as well. When the better item is unavailable, get what you can, then upgrade as tiome and resources permit. You'll find that you may now have two kits, one that could be shared and/or given away and your better kit. The beauty of having two kits is the redundancy.

If you look at the top right of your screen, you should see a box titled ""Where do you want to go on ETS?" When you click on it, scroll down to "Doug's Kits" and click on the go button. That will take you to a pretty interesting section of the site that provides a great wealth of information on what Doug carries...in his pocket...in his car etc. Also, do a forum search using words like "kit contents" "PSK" "USK" "STOP" and "cheatsheet". Be sure to set the search parameters for all forums and all dates since it defaults to a smaller search. These particular links will direct you to previous thereads and discussions on ETS that also have a profund amount of information. Please enjoy. The folks here are friendly and willing to answer questions.

Seems like you have a fair sized tin there. Probably room for a spare battery in there, possibly some plastic bags (one garbage bag large size for a quick rainsuit, and perhaps a smaller sandwich baggie or two to drop kit contents into when the tin is used for other things like scooping up water or whatever. You might also want to consider splitting up your money into another smaller tin or two, that way you won't have all your eggs in one basket.

Perhaps you might include an inventory listing of the contents and the various uses of each item in case you are incapacitated and someone else needs to help out.

As you've probably seen in reviewing some of the threads on the forums, one of the best kit contents is knowledge, it doesn't weigh a thing and a lot can be obtained for little more than the effort of web research and library visits.

It is rather likely that other forum members will also provide their own insights on your kit as well.

Regards,
Comanche7

#21182 - 11/11/03 01:53 AM Re: What else do I put in my PSK
Anonymous
Unregistered

That looks pretty all-inclusive there, lostscout. Water storage is the only thing missing, or is that an alternate use for the latex glove?

#21183 - 11/11/03 03:41 AM Re: What else do I put in my PSK
Ade Offline
Enthusiast

LS,

Rather than comment on things you have excluded, I'd like to comment on some things you have included.

String. That is pretty non-specific. Fishing line? Mason's twine? Kite string? Anything is better than nothing, but 550 cord seems to be the standard to shoot for....and for good reason.

Fishing stuff. There's been some talk here lately about fishing stuff. Hook quality and so forth. I'm at the point were I'm about to chuck mine to make room for other things. I am no longer convinced that it is needed, at least in a typical sized PSK. If, however, you think you need it, make it the good stuff.

Water tablets. Again, non-specific. Doug has some good stuff regarding H2O purification. Check it out, some of the products work, some of them don't. Make sure that yours does.

Tin foil and duct and black tape. Many grades available in these, and a huge difference in quality. If you haven't already, you'll want eventually to check into these.

Those are the things that I noticed. You are off to a great start, and some others here have shared some good ideas.

Take care,

Andy

#21184 - 11/11/03 04:46 PM Re: What else do I put in my PSK
lostscout Offline
Journeyman

Loc: 40.53088N 111.91328W
oh yeah! Great Idea, I have got at figuare a way to stuff a garbage sack in there.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 437 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Use of mirror, helicopter pilot notices
by Phaedrus
10/03/24 05:15 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
10/01/24 12:34 AM
The price of gold
by brandtb
09/27/24 07:40 PM
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.