Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#211636 - 11/20/10 02:06 PM PSP pouch durability
JIM Offline
Old Hand

Loc: The Netherlands
I've got my fare share of orininal PSP's and all the 'waterproof' zip pouches leak at the edge of the zippers. If I seal the kit without any air inside, within a minute the pack has air back into it.

Is this a common problem? How can I solve it or should I use another PSP container?

#211637 - 11/20/10 02:40 PM Re: PSP pouch durability [Re: JIM]
bws48 Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Anne Arundel County, Maryland
I haven't found any of the zip type bags can really stand up to much use; I also find they leak. I do have a "food-saver" type vacuum sealer that does work, it stays sealed and does not leak; the downside is once you open it, you can't reseal without the machine, and the plastic is tough enough that you probably need a knife to open it. If the kit is only for emergency use and you are usually have a small knife available, this may work. Another advantage is that the sealed bags tends to keep things from "walking away" and not being there when you need it.

Another alternative I like is screw top plastic jars. Less convenient to carry/pack, but they seal reliably, can be resealed, and when emptied can be used as a water container. I've found large ones at the local $ store, and of course recycle some of the smaller ones from our used grocery items. I use the zip type bags inside the plastic jar to help keep things organized.

#211640 - 11/20/10 03:53 PM Re: PSP pouch durability [Re: JIM]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
The Aquapac looks good.

#211660 - 11/20/10 08:31 PM Re: PSP pouch durability [Re: JIM]
falcon5000 Offline
Addict

Yes Jim, the small splitting by the zipper is very common with those pouches including Doug's pouch causing the pack to lose it's ability of waterproof plus the zippers over time will open up or crack open in your pocket and the nylon or what ever it is made of will get hard in time. The only thing I have found so far to prevent this is a aqua pack so far (see link)for the size. If you had room, I would go watershed which is hands down the best water proof bags I have found less DUI products which are way to expensive. The problem with watershed is they do not make packs that small and I use them as liners in my BOB with a depth rating of 300 ft Sea Water. I am still testing the aqua pack key master for durability and so far it is still holding up like a champ. The key master has a lower signature than Doug's kit, more comfortable, smaller and 100% no nonsense waterproof. I carry it everywhere I go and go swimming with it from time to time to keep checking the integrity of the waterproofing. Anyway +1 on aquapack, if your not concerned with waterproofing then the nylons are fine but they will leak in time.

http://forums.equipped.org/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=210358#Post210358

#211685 - 11/21/10 09:17 AM Re: PSP pouch durability [Re: falcon5000]
JIM Offline
Old Hand

Loc: The Netherlands

Would the contents of the PSP fit in the aquapak?

#211711 - 11/21/10 09:29 PM Re: PSP pouch durability [Re: JIM]
falcon5000 Offline
Addict

Most of it will Jim, I got rid of the tin foil in the kit so I don't know if you can get the tin foil in or not. I have most of the kit in mine bit improved on things. If I was to use just Doug's kit by it self, I think I could get everything but the tin foil (which I don't care for) in it. It is actually a decent size for space.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 652 Guests and 63 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
09/01/24 05:57 PM
Best TSA Safe Multitool
by Doug_Ritter
08/31/24 02:57 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
08/24/24 11:08 PM
Alaskan attacked by a bear and shot
by Phaedrus
08/23/24 07:43 AM
Woman Lost 4 Days in Colorado Mountains Is Rescued
by dougwalkabout
08/22/24 10:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.