The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#211502 - 11/18/10 03:35 AM Re: Belize Trip: How to Prepare? [Re: ireckon]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
There are some more good tips, thanks everybody. Here's something funny. I can't find cargo shorts in stores because of the winter season. So, I was going to buy inexpensive cargo pants from Costco, cut them into shorts and then seam the bottoms for neatness. Now, I'm thinking I won't seam the bottoms so that I intentionally look raggedy and poor.

#211529 - 11/18/10 05:43 PM Re: Belize Trip: How to Prepare? [Re: ireckon]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
You can get good cargo shorts at Cabelas. The best are their original "7-Pocket Hiker Shorts". They have discontinued these in favor of their new "Hiker II" shots. There are a few oddball sizes of the original on clearance. So if you just happen to be size 30 or size 50 in the waiste you're set. Don't be fooled, the new Hiker II's are far far inferior. They look similar, but gone are the large pockets, pleats and bellows on the pockets, and button closures. I wouldn't buy the new model.

Second best from Cabela's are their "Trail Shorts". These come in either a 5" or a 9" inseam. The 5" are pretty short, but just fine if you were highschool/college age in the 70's. We were used to short shorts back then. The 9" are more in keeping with todays styles though.

I sure hope Cabela's abandons their stupid new Hiker II's and reverts back to the original Hikers.

#211530 - 11/18/10 05:59 PM Re: Belize Trip: How to Prepare? [Re: ireckon]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
I thank you for the shorts tip.

I'm currently looking for nylon fishing shirts, shorts and pants with big pockets that dry quickly when wet.

#211535 - 11/18/10 07:08 PM Re: Belize Trip: How to Prepare? [Re: ireckon]
ajax Offline

Originally Posted By: ireckon
I thank you for the shorts tip.

I'm currently looking for nylon fishing shirts, shorts and pants with big pockets that dry quickly when wet.

I don't know what your budget is but Rail Riders makes some of the best nylon outdoor gear I've ever seen.

www.railriders.com

#211538 - 11/18/10 07:45 PM Re: Belize Trip: How to Prepare? [Re: ireckon]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:

If available in the US then the Craghoppers Nosquito Cargo Shorts or Convertible or double convertible trouser might be worth a look.

Craghoppers Convertible Trousers

Long sleeve and short sleeve shirts are also available. Some even have a Bear Grylls moniker on them. wink

They are pretty good at keeping away biting insects but not so effective at keeping away the kidney thieves and rabid dogs (which no one has yet seemed to mention). whistle

#211541 - 11/18/10 09:00 PM Re: Belize Trip: How to Prepare? [Re: ireckon]
jmacclau Offline
Stranger

I spent time in Panama with the USA and the weather can be fierce. Very hot and HUMID! A week isn't enough time to adjust so take it easy. Thunder storms can catch you with little notice.Lock any valuables in the hotel safe. Limit what items of value you and your girl friend take into the country. Your going to poverty like you've never seen before.

#211548 - 11/18/10 09:33 PM Re: Belize Trip: How to Prepare? [Re: ireckon]
Andy Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: SE PA
I would suggest going to the State Dept.'s web site and get the latest info on travel in that region. You can also pre-register with the consulate in Belize so that they will know to look for you if something bad goes down.

The folks at the embassies can be life savers.

#211571 - 11/19/10 08:30 AM Re: Belize Trip: How to Prepare? [Re: ireckon]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
You might try REI - they have a lot of these items available

#211574 - 11/19/10 12:46 PM Re: Belize Trip: How to Prepare? [Re: ireckon]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
BassPro Shops has a "second" line walled World Wide Sportsmen.. they have nylon (Boca) shorts that wear exceptionally well, as do their caped back long sleeved nylon fishing shirts...DuPont "supplex" is very comfortable and drys quickly.

#211575 - 11/19/10 12:48 PM Re: Belize Trip: How to Prepare? [Re: dougwalkabout]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: dougwalkabout
it's about awareness, awareness, awareness ... which is based on research, research, research. Know the players and the program, and common situations that get locals and visitors in trouble; and then start to think about Plan B for these situations. Nothing macho: in the Third World, the best trick is to be someplace else when something bad goes down. My $0.02.

The first and most important part of any trip to anywhere!

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 652 Guests and 63 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
09/01/24 05:57 PM
Best TSA Safe Multitool
by Doug_Ritter
08/31/24 02:57 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
08/24/24 11:08 PM
Alaskan attacked by a bear and shot
by Phaedrus
08/23/24 07:43 AM
Woman Lost 4 Days in Colorado Mountains Is Rescued
by dougwalkabout
08/22/24 10:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.