All my life, thanks to my dad.

Back in 2005 he and mom were down from Minnesota visiting me in Texas. Their car got rear-ended and totalled. The wrecker driver watched in amazement as dad transfered to my car wool blankets, tool kit, fire extinguisher(s), tow ropes, hatchet, crow bar, winter clothing, MREs, toilet paper, bottled water, emergency flares, buck saw, first aid kit, flashlights, CB radio, folding shovel, umbrella(s), ponchos, space blankets, Fix-A-Flat, fishing gear, spare walking shoes for him and mom, and assorted other survival gear that had been neatly hidden throughout their car.

I wish I could find my pictures of this car when they drove from Minnesota to Nome, Alaska. It looked like something out of "The Road Warrior". He had several spare tires and gas cans straped to the roof, the headlights were covered in chicken wire for protection, and he made his own brushguards for it (Subaru Outback). They were planning on taking "the scenic route" rather than the Alaskan Highway. eek They were both 68 years old at the time. They made it there and back with only three flat tires and a cracked windshield. Dad figures next time he'll figure out how to put chicken wire over the windshield too. He's 75 now.

I don't remember there ever being a time when I wasn't expected to have a knife, matches (occasionally taken away from me!), and some string on me at all times.

-Blast

Edited by Blast (11/05/10 06:07 PM)
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.