started in Scouts, and was fortunate to be old enough to have two Scoutmasters that were WWII combat vets (Marine and Army/OSS)....I live on the west coast of Florida so hurricanes became a summer event...my first major storm was hurricane "Donna" in I think 1962, we had only a day or so warning with lots of street flooding and power/telephone outage...a couple of typhoons and earthquakes stationed in the Far East..I started practical shooting about the time I started teaching (1981).... I had used a "bug out" scenario in a variety of guises as critical thinking, problem-solution set skills with my students, and was introduced to the 72 hour "go bucket" by a fellow teacher, a member of LDS...I helped pilot a Health and Human Services Learning Comminity within the county, and we adopted "survival" as our over all topic for integrated lessons.....the 72 hour bucket exercise became a true lab in a series, along with a land navigation, home made MRE, and EMT presentation for Great American Teach In...articles by Jeff Randall in Tactical Knives got me to the EDC stage