Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#209442 - 10/10/10 10:41 PM Re: My thoughts on the $75 firefighting fee [Re: Susan]
jzmtl Offline
Addict

Loc: Montreal Canada
Originally Posted By: Susan
So here's another idea, to make sure the fee gets paid: Tack it on to something that DOES get paid, like the property tax. Just include it right in there.

I believe that was the plan at some point in that county but residents voted it down.

#209452 - 10/10/10 11:46 PM Re: My thoughts on the $75 firefighting fee [Re: MartinFocazio]
2005RedTJ Offline
Addict

Loc: Birmingham, Alabama
Originally Posted By: martinfocazio
I'll leave this topic with this article from my favorite satirical publication, "The Onion"

Now THAT'S funny.

#209584 - 10/13/10 07:54 AM Re: My thoughts on the $75 firefighting fee [Re: MartinFocazio]
jdavidboyd Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Hudson, FL
That happened up in New England when we lived there.

A house caught on fire, they called the fire department, turned out they weren't subscribed, and it burned to the ground.

#209601 - 10/13/10 03:58 PM Re: My thoughts on the $75 firefighting fee [Re: jzmtl]
xbanker Offline
Addict

Loc: Anthem, AZ USA
Originally Posted By: jzmtl
Originally Posted By: Susan
So here's another idea, to make sure the fee gets paid: Tack it on to something that DOES get paid, like the property tax. Just include it right in there.

I believe that was the plan at some point in that county but residents voted it down.

Personally, don't believe something as critical as fire protection should be "opt in." Unfortunate but true ... sometimes people have to be protected from themselves.

The consequences aren't over yet, assuming they have a mortgage and homeowners/fire insurance coverage.

From industry-standard Deed of Trust: Preservation, Maintenance and Protection of the Property. Borrower shall not destroy, damage or impair the Property, allow the Property to deteriorate or commit waste on the Property.

Homeowners insurance policy boilerplate: Perils not included. This company shall not be liable for loss by fire or other perils insured against in this policy caused, directly or indirectly, by: neglect of the insured to use all reasonable means to save and preserve the property at and after a loss.

Conditions suspending or restricting insurance. Unless otherwise provided in writing added hereto this Company shall not be liable for loss occurring (a) while the hazard is increased by any means within the control or knowledge of the insured.

#209613 - 10/13/10 07:27 PM Re: My thoughts on the $75 firefighting fee [Re: MartinFocazio]
DesertFox Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New York, NY
This is where lawyers have all the fun. Does the phrase in the insurance boilerplate, "neglect of the insured to use all reasonable means to save and preserve the property at and after loss" require paying the fee as a "reasonable means" or does it mean "try your darnedest to put the thing out"? Bet if you research the case law in six different states, you will get six different answers.

#209614 - 10/13/10 07:37 PM Re: My thoughts on the $75 firefighting fee [Re: DesertFox]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: DesertFox
This is where lawyers have all the fun. Does the phrase in the insurance boilerplate, "neglect of the insured to use all reasonable means to save and preserve the property at and after loss" require paying the fee as a "reasonable means" or does it mean "try your darnedest to put the thing out"? Bet if you research the case law in six different states, you will get six different answers.

My understanding is that where fire service is provided by subscription, insurance policies will require that the subscription be kept up to date.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
June
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online
0 registered (), 404 Guests and 43 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
EDC Reduction
by paulr
06/04/24 10:30 AM
Recent Signal Mirror Successes - more wanted
by paulr
06/03/24 08:35 AM
Hoover Stew
by dougwalkabout
05/26/24 03:03 AM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/23/24 06:24 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/17/24 03:49 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
05/16/24 09:49 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.