Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#209696 - 10/15/10 02:48 AM Re: I don't leave the pavement without it..... [Re: Phaedrus]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
Originally Posted By: Phaedrus
I'll tell you one that seems to corrode a 'steel pretty fast- the outgassing/vapors from Weber BBQ grill lighters. Those little cubes seem to be the same thing as WetFire tinder but in bulk and much cheaper. I Filled a small Plano flip top tackle box with the Weber cubes with a firesteel and striker in the last compartment and sealed it up. The chemicals in the Weber cubes caused the Plano to warp to the point that the lid popped off and caused major corrosion to the steel and striker, all in the period of a couple weeks! I repeated the experiment with an identical box, making sure there was no moisture, just to verify it was the cubes, and I got the same result. This tells me some chemical or gas is being emitted from them that's strongly corrosive. Heck, maybe it's simply water coming out but nothing seems damp. I think it's probably best to keep the cubes sealed seperately from the steel. FWIW the cubes still worked just fine.

I thank you for that info. I was at Walmart today about to buy some of those cubes. I'm glad I couldn't find any. I'll stick with the cotton balls and Vaseline/wax. According to my testing Vaseline protects against corrosion.

#209700 - 10/15/10 04:36 AM Re: I don't leave the pavement without it..... [Re: Byrd_Huntr]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Well, I don't really want to warn you off of the Webers- they really are fantastic tinder! They light easily (if you crumble a bit of one it will light easily with a steel) and burns for a long time. You just have to keep them wrapped seperately. I do this with cotton & PJ anyway to minimize the mess. Not really a big deal.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 640 Guests and 54 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
09/01/24 05:57 PM
Best TSA Safe Multitool
by Doug_Ritter
08/31/24 02:57 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
08/24/24 11:08 PM
Alaskan attacked by a bear and shot
by Phaedrus
08/23/24 07:43 AM
Woman Lost 4 Days in Colorado Mountains Is Rescued
by dougwalkabout
08/22/24 10:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.