Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#209042 - 10/05/10 01:12 AM Re: Some Cheap and Cheerful EDC/PSK items [Re: ironraven]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
Originally Posted By: ironraven
Originally Posted By: ireckon
a flash drive

Line it with something non-conductive and ground it- micro farady cage? Of course, what good is a flash drive if nothing can read it. *snickers*

Good point...I have an all plastic case similar to the metal one in the link. That'll do.

#209045 - 10/05/10 01:34 AM Re: Some Cheap and Cheerful EDC/PSK items [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Originally Posted By: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor

They all work, and I'm quite impressed with the AAA Laser Pen (the only downside is the battery would need to be stored outside of the Laser due to the power button design to stop inadvertent powering on.

I wonder if the laser is legal in the US? I read the item description and unless I misunderstood it sounded like they couldn't ship to the USA?

#209201 - 10/06/10 06:11 PM Re: Some Cheap and Cheerful EDC/PSK items [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Did DX charge a fee for international money exchange without asking you?

They charged me a small fee. If they're going to do stuff like that, then I'll give my business elsewhere. The whole point of using DX is too get stuff dirt cheap even though there's zero customer service, but the transactions have to be dirt cheap and honest.

#209204 - 10/06/10 07:00 PM Re: Some Cheap and Cheerful EDC/PSK items [Re: ireckon]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

The exchange rate on the invoice using PayPal for UK Sterling for the date I ordered the kit was $1.52 to the £1.00 but looking back at the exchange rate using XE.com for the same date was $1.56 to the £1.00. As always there will be someone creaming off the top of the transaction, but I was not charged for a International Money exchange by DX except for a $0.01 shipping charge. The $0.04 on the dollar more than compensates for basically free shipping especially on small difficult to get items in the UK such as 18650 cells for example.

At the end of the day a $4 Firesteel delivered to your door from China beats a trip into the town (you can easily pay $4 for just a car parking space for 2hrs) and paying $18 for an equivalent Swedish firesteel at the local outdoor store (although saying that I was there yesterday voting for which Monstrous Carbuncle at one of the local Universities the town will have to endure when they build it next the the RSS Discovery crazy ).

#209206 - 10/06/10 07:20 PM Re: Some Cheap and Cheerful EDC/PSK items [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Oh, yes, the deal was good, but I'm annoyed about a fee of $1.89 that was charged to my credit card outside of the original transaction. The fee showed up 4 days after the original purchase. The overall transaction was still less expensive than competitors, but that's not the point. The additional fee was abnormal and dishonest, frankly. A customer should be informed of such fees while they're about to buy. I did not find any mention of an exchange rate fee in the original transaction paperwork.

#209212 - 10/06/10 08:19 PM Re: Some Cheap and Cheerful EDC/PSK items [Re: ireckon]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: ireckon
The overall transaction was still less expensive than competitors, but that's not the point. The additional fee was abnormal and dishonest, frankly. A customer should be informed of such fees while they're about to buy. I did not find any mention of an exchange rate fee in the original transaction paperwork.

Agreed. That only happens once before I will stop doing business with a company. I'd also be very likely to dispute the charges in your shoes.

#209213 - 10/06/10 09:00 PM Re: Some Cheap and Cheerful EDC/PSK items [Re: ireckon]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Was the credit card itemised entry for $1.89 actually charged by DX or by the credit card company for the currency exchange transaction?

Quote:
A customer should be informed of such fees while they're about to buy.

Yes, I'm in complete agreement. If the $1.89 does not appear on the DX online statement then it looks like it was either the bank performing the currency transaction billing your credit card company or the credit card company itself.

Unaccounted for fees on credit cards are usually the credit card companies themselves trying to rake in a few more bucks.

#209217 - 10/06/10 09:24 PM Re: Some Cheap and Cheerful EDC/PSK items [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor
Yes, I'm in complete agreement. If the $1.89 does not appear on the DX online statement then it looks like it was either the bank performing the currency transaction billing your credit card company or the credit card company itself.

Unaccounted for fees on credit cards are usually the credit card companies themselves trying to rake in a few more bucks.

OK, it does look like the credit card company (or other middleman) made the charge. Anyway, I'm still keeping DX on a short leash. Once I get the products in my hands, I'll probably be less annoyed.

By the way, I also ordered extra O-rings for the pill-shaped containers.
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.5694
The best size is either 25mm, 24mm, or 23mm. I'm starting with 25mm.

#209231 - 10/07/10 01:40 AM Re: Some Cheap and Cheerful EDC/PSK items [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
I confess I didn't pay that close of attention to see if I was billed extra fees. If I was I'd be annoyed but I'd probably still buy from them since the stuff if mega-cheap.

#209233 - 10/07/10 02:16 AM Re: Some Cheap and Cheerful EDC/PSK items [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Newsman Offline
Journeyman

Loc: NW Arkansas
Regarding Phaedrus' question on legality of pen lasers: Perfectly legal, unless you happen to blind a pilot with one.

"Interfering with a flight crew is a federal crime, interfering with aviation. So, the FBI has looked into many of these laser incidents over the last several years. We've located some of them, arrested some and several have been prosecuted," Richard Kolko, FBI Supervisory Special Agent, said. http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?section=news/local&id=7392021

Such devices are great for pointing out stars during astronomy events, and I call tell you from experience that a 5 mllliwatt laser is plenty bright: Reflection off a metal surface half a mile away is painful; shining it at the ground at your feet is flat-out dumb.

In a survival situation, a laser certainly is a useful tool. However, shining a laser into a cockpit could cause temporary blindness, which could create a whole new set of problems.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Ren), 605 Guests and 49 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
09/01/24 05:57 PM
Best TSA Safe Multitool
by Doug_Ritter
08/31/24 02:57 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
08/24/24 11:08 PM
Alaskan attacked by a bear and shot
by Phaedrus
08/23/24 07:43 AM
Woman Lost 4 Days in Colorado Mountains Is Rescued
by dougwalkabout
08/22/24 10:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.