Originally Posted By: MostlyHarmless

Although they never break, fire steels aren't magical "let-there-be-fire" talismans either. You need something that will catch fire from that spark, and relying on finding THAT in nature during adverse conditions seems rather naive to me. Enter those petroleum jelly cotton balls or whatever fire starter of your choosing. (You should have those anyway as it makes fire sooo much more easy).

Very true. While a good firesteel will make a shower of 5,500 degree sparks, those sparks are relatively small and don't carry a lot of heat. Typically they won't ignite a sheet of notebook paper, unless you tear/feather it up. Although it doesn't sound very macho or Ray Mears-y, I do carry cotton or chemical tinder. I'd rate my ability to make fire with a ferro rod and a cottonball about as good as my ability to do it with just a ligher or match. A flame extender like PJ makes it even easier. Sometimes I also use Weber grill starting cubes. Lighting a fire with a steel and natural tinder is also very doable, even in the wet. But- that's neither easy nor quick. I'd hate to bet my life on getting a fire going after a bad fall in deep snow, with night falling. That applies to a lighter, too.

That's one thing I think you have to be aware of with more primative methods. A bow drill is great in that you can make the entire set in the wilderness, but how good will your luck be if everything is wet? How fast can you carve a bearing block, spindle and hearth board?

Originally Posted By: MostlyHarmless
Sometimes, you just really want that naked flame... that's why I love bics. Reliable enough to be trusted (somewhat) when in pairs, better than matches and cheap enough that you can have a bunch of them and rotate half-old lighters from "front end" duty to every day purposes without any financial worries.

Carried in pairs you have some more security. And a Bic is small enought that you might was well carry it. The worse the conditions the more redundancy you should have. They say 2 is 1 and 1 is none. In the mountains in deep snow and biting cold I'd probably tell myself that 3 is 2.