Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#208663 - 09/28/10 08:30 PM Re: Don't trust aluminum foil (with link) [Re: T_Co]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC
Originally Posted By: T_Co
Originally Posted By: KenK
Scouts have used aluminum foil for "hobo" meals for decades. They chop up veggies, add a slab of hamburger, cover it all in foil, and cook it over hot coals. I have say that I have noticed them having more problems lately with holes in the foil. I wasn't sure if was cheap generic foil or what. Even heavy duty foil has the same problems.

Ken

The article is in reference to trying to build a vessel to boil water in. It is probably a lot different if you just want to do a potato on the coals.

I don't want to be rude but I have been surprised on many forums how many wasted or irrelevant post there are or how many derailments occur to the subject at hand (it would be courteous to create a new thread and then link to the original to prevent this) simply because some people Quick Post or skim through without all the facts and then thought they should defend their method or continue on about something that wasn't even in regard to the key points of the original topic....

The original post closes by posing this question: "Has anyone else noticed that foil quality has gone downhill precipitously?"

Ken's comment is germane to that question (which could easily be missed if one had simply skimmed the original post).

I'm surprised anyone is still surprised by thread drift -- a phenomenon consistent with everyday, off-line polite conversation.

#208665 - 09/28/10 09:01 PM Re: Don't trust aluminum foil (with link) [Re: Dagny]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Hey, I'm still surprised to find polite online conversation! wink At any rate the heaviest foil is still usefull, it just isn't as good as it use to be. Doubled up it still works pretty well. When I can't smoke ribs, I'll wrap a rack in plastic wrap, then heavy foil and roast at 225 for 2.5 hours. Generally the foil doesn't burn thru at that time/temp combo.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Ren), 610 Guests and 50 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
09/01/24 05:57 PM
Best TSA Safe Multitool
by Doug_Ritter
08/31/24 02:57 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
08/24/24 11:08 PM
Alaskan attacked by a bear and shot
by Phaedrus
08/23/24 07:43 AM
Woman Lost 4 Days in Colorado Mountains Is Rescued
by dougwalkabout
08/22/24 10:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.