The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#207455 - 09/07/10 06:00 PM cord storage
nursemike Offline
Old Hand

Loc: wellington, fl
Back in the old days (1950's), it was customary to store cordage for emergent use by wrapping the grip of the knife with an initial layer of fishing line, followed by a layer of paracord and securing the whole with a layer of friction or electrical tape ( I don't believe that duct tape had been invented yet-historians?) The notion was officially presented in teh Randall Knife catalog as apprpriate treatment for their attack-survival model, which had a stainless steel tube handle with a watertight screw-on top. Anyone still do this?

#207457 - 09/07/10 06:12 PM Re: cord storage [Re: nursemike]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
I still wrap handles with paracord.

#207463 - 09/07/10 09:12 PM Re: cord storage [Re: nursemike]
LED Offline
Veteran

Silicone tape works for me. Of course a small hank of paracord is in the EDC. Bulk ropes are stored in a mesh bag.

#207464 - 09/07/10 10:06 PM Re: cord storage [Re: nursemike]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Last I heard duct tape was a development during, possibly just before, WW2 and was primarily developed to hold boxes used to ship supplies and material together under harsh military depot conditions and rough handling.

I'm not a big fan of wrapping handles and creating items, belts or bands, to carry light line. IMHO it places the line in a portion where it is likely to be exposed to wear and tear to the point where it becomes unreliable. Try unwinding para-cord that has been macrame-ed into a belt and worn for a couple of years. It takes time to unwind and comes out with many worn, compressed, stained spots. Better than nothing but not a material I would depend on for any critical task.

I don't object to people wrapping handles with cordage. It can improve the grip, particularly if the tool is used when wet or covered with grease or blood. It can make using the tool more comfortable and effective. Para-cord is pretty cheap and is often effective in this role.

I also don't really object to people wearing belts and bands made of cordage. It is an interesting look and a fashion statement. Making such items is a productive hobby and useful skill. Rare to find a person who does macrame who can't tie a decent knot. I'm always amazed at the number of adults who can't tie an effective knot. Such skills are not as common as they need to be. It is scary to see cargo tied to a car top with granny knots.

What I do think is unwise is to wind a handle or wear such a belt and expect that you will be able to quickly have access to cordage in good condition. If you think you may have use or need of such cordage do not count on the stuff wrapped around a knife handle or woven into a belt. Don't count on the stuff woven into a belt or wrapped into a tool handle. Bring what you need, or think you may need, in a separate hank.

If and when things go far enough south that there is no other cordage available, and you have time, you can turn to the stuff wrapped around a handle and make due with the condition it comes off in. At best, it amounts to a last reserve. Better than nothing but not to be counted on.

#207465 - 09/07/10 10:10 PM Re: cord storage [Re: nursemike]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
No, but I have small hands.

My mother has larger hands than me. cry

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#207475 - 09/08/10 01:18 AM Re: cord storage [Re: nursemike]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MN, Land O' Lakes & Rivers ...
I wrap the sheath with paracord, and insert a firesteel. I leave the handle clean.

#207479 - 09/08/10 02:49 AM Re: cord storage [Re: nursemike]
2005RedTJ Offline
Addict

Loc: Birmingham, Alabama
I was carrying 50' of 550 cord wrapped around the handle of my hatchet. I needed to use the hatchet one day and it came undone in the process. No matter how tight I wrap it, I apparently lack the skills to keep the paracord around the handle.

#207495 - 09/08/10 01:30 PM Re: cord storage [Re: 2005RedTJ]
ponder Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: American Redoubt
Originally Posted By: 2005RedTJ
No matter how tight I wrap it, I apparently lack the skills to keep the paracord around the handle.

Soak the cord in warm water for five minutes before you wrap it tightly. Nylon absorbes water 15% by weight. In the process it stretches. When it drys it will shrink on your handle.

Same with a military cot. Wet and it assembles and comes apart easily. Dry and it it tight to sleep on.
American Redoubt
N43.9668 W116.1888

#207496 - 09/08/10 02:19 PM Re: cord storage [Re: Art_in_FL]
Compugeek Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: San Diego, CA
Originally Posted By: Art_in_FL
Last I heard duct tape was a development during, possibly just before, WW2 and was primarily developed to hold boxes used to ship supplies and material together under harsh military depot conditions and rough handling.

According to what I've read, it was developed (yes, in WW2) as a temporary waterproof sealing tape for ammo cases. And that it was originally known as "duck tape" because it shed water "like a duck's back".

It was apparently never meant for use as a binder, nor for long-term use. And since it doesn't hold well under constant temperature fluctuations, it's actually one of the worst choices for sealing a duct.

But for temporary, easy to undo sealing/repair/assembly jobs, it's perfect.

#207497 - 09/08/10 03:10 PM Re: cord storage [Re: nursemike]
kevingg Offline
Addict

Loc: NH
I do the under layer of some knife handles (if the tang has no scales and sharp edges) in paracord with the inner strands removed as a whipping; then the outside layer in a paracord turks head wrap. I don't however add any waterproofing or tape to the outside. See picture series below:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 625 Guests and 36 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
09/01/24 05:57 PM
Best TSA Safe Multitool
by Doug_Ritter
08/31/24 02:57 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
08/24/24 11:08 PM
Alaskan attacked by a bear and shot
by Phaedrus
08/23/24 07:43 AM
Woman Lost 4 Days in Colorado Mountains Is Rescued
by dougwalkabout
08/22/24 10:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.