The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#207236 - 09/03/10 01:12 PM Backpacker magazine has new survival section
ScouterMan Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Massachusetts, USA
Backpacker Magazine has a new survival section to their on-line (and probably print) journal. It might be pretty basic to some of you, but they have some nice videos.

Usual disclaimer.

http://www.backpacker.com/survival-101-h...gn=newsletter03

#207252 - 09/03/10 07:41 PM Re: Backpacker magazine has new survival section [Re: ScouterMan]
Frisket Offline
Addict

I cant take that website seriously even with the good info i still question their...well everything

They call the PSP+ a First aid kit the Mk5 the "crkt flatblade" and claim that the compass is "too small" and to throw in a full size one? WHY? its apocket kit for a reason and the compass works just fine and in fact better then any "toy" compass's that often comes in other kits

they also suggest a over priced knife and over priced items including a lighter for a fire starter instead of a Firesteel... just what makes them think this stuff?

A Comment on the PSP+ goes to show how little they even go to explain the items they suggest leaving people more confused then correct.

" Hold on a sec YDNTK: AM makes much cheaper kits that have everything but the blade. In this case the blade is more than half the cost (and BP magazine should have noted that). If you have your own reliable mini-knife, you can get one the versions without the included knife, just don't forget to put it in the kit!
Posted: Aug 31, 2010 Brendan

For $10 I could make my own First aid kit!! This is a rip "

First aid kit? 15 being 1/2 of the number 70? 10$ to make a first aid kit thats better then the PSP+ that isnt a first aid kit?

Sorry to rant i just cant help but wonder why websites continue to do such things specially to such a great kit like
the psp+

-EDITED-

Posted: Aug 26, 2010 You dont need to know

Backpacker...seriously? I bought an L.L. Bean daypack that you said was awesome, which it was and won an award from you guys. It cost $69. Now you're telling me that I need a $70 first aid kit because it's just so darn great. I have a problem with this scenario when the cost to create that kit is probably $5 at the most. SCAM!!!
Posted: Aug 25, 2010 WTF!!??

Another comment on the PSP+ that just showed up! This is what im talking about! they clearly are giving people a false idea of what the PSP+ is and thus giving it bad propaganda no?

Edited by Frisket (09/03/10 07:44 PM)

#207283 - 09/04/10 02:08 AM Re: Backpacker magazine has new survival section [Re: ScouterMan]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
A lot of it is pretty borderline stuff, like assisting a victim with a broken leg to walk out of the woods - only in the most desperate circumstances would I even think of doing what they demonstrated.

I really got nostalgic when they demonstrated tying a single loop bowline around the waist. That was the procedure in 1957, but by 1960, climbers were going over to the bowline on a coil, still something I would use in a tight situation. Fortunately I never took a stiff fall when tied in with a single loop - it has been known to cut off breathing and result in fatalities....

Don't accept ideas in Backpacker uncritically. Their purpose in life is to sell their advertisers' gear.

#207288 - 09/04/10 08:10 AM Re: Backpacker magazine has new survival section [Re: ScouterMan]
EMPnotImplyNuclear Offline
Enthusiast

They do qualify as tips , 5-tweets tips (twitter has 140 char limit, the tips are about 700 chars each ...) laugh

They really got carried away with the twitter concept.

Poor grammar; poor presentation. No byline, or if there is one, it doesn't link to a bio for the author. No bibliography or anything indicating where the writer learned his first aid treatments.... perhaps worthy of twitter but not a magazine.

They should start each tip with a disclaimer urging their readers to seek better advice elsewhere.

One of the tips was apparently by Buck Tilton, I assume the founder of Wilderness Medicine Institute mentioned here, but theres no way to be sure.

Which reminds me, I recently I came across Where There Is No Doctor, enjoy smile

#207294 - 09/04/10 01:36 PM Re: Backpacker magazine has new survival section [Re: ScouterMan]
Outdoor_Quest Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Central Oregon
Wether it is "Backpacker" or "Field and Stream" you have to be very carefull with the information from a magazine,or for that matter, online.

Many publications don't go into the details of a wilderness topic.

Quick, short bursts of info in single sentence paragraphs has become the norm.

That's why I like to post my questions here. There is never a shortage of good info.

Blake
www.outdoorquest.biz

#207304 - 09/04/10 07:17 PM Re: Backpacker magazine has new survival section [Re: Outdoor_Quest]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

The videos on the 'Backpaker' website are very entertaining, especially the 3 videos of the fellow impersonating Mr Mmmkay from Southpark getting very lost in the River of No Return Wilderness. laugh

http://www.backpacker.com/jim-thornton-lost-part-1/videos/131
http://www.backpacker.com/jim-thornton-lost-part-2/videos/133
http://www.backpacker.com/jim-thornton-lost-part-3/videos/137

#207310 - 09/04/10 10:23 PM Re: Backpacker magazine has new survival section [Re: ScouterMan]
jzmtl Offline
Addict

Loc: Montreal Canada
I don't know to laugh or to take this guy seriously.

http://www.backpacker.com/survival_skills_survive_a_bear_attack/videos/40

#207312 - 09/04/10 11:41 PM Re: Backpacker magazine has new survival section [Re: ScouterMan]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
I have a question about Doug's Pocket Survival Pak Plus:

I can't help but notice that it isn't mentioned on equipped.org. Does anyone know if there is a reason?

#207316 - 09/05/10 02:31 AM Re: Backpacker magazine has new survival section [Re: KenK]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: KenK

I can't help but notice that it isn't mentioned on equipped.org. Does anyone know if there is a reason?

Maybe because it isn't available yet?

#207317 - 09/05/10 02:36 AM Re: Backpacker magazine has new survival section [Re: chaosmagnet]
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet
Originally Posted By: KenK

Maybe because it isn't available yet?

Bingo!
Chairman & Executive Director
Equipped To Survive Foundation
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Jeanette_Isabelle), 333 Guests and 41 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
09/01/24 05:57 PM
Best TSA Safe Multitool
by Doug_Ritter
08/31/24 02:57 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
08/24/24 11:08 PM
Alaskan attacked by a bear and shot
by Phaedrus
08/23/24 07:43 AM
Woman Lost 4 Days in Colorado Mountains Is Rescued
by dougwalkabout
08/22/24 10:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.