The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#207009 - 08/31/10 02:35 AM Opinions on the Tool Logic SL Pro2 Combo Knife
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
Hi,

I was leafing through the fall LeBaron's catalog and saw that Tool Logic has a new combination knife that includes an LED light, firesteel, whistle, pocket clip and 3" 50/50 serrated blade.

I have always thought that the Tool Logic knives looked weak at the pivot point, but this new model is constructed with a stainless steel frame (420J2?), covered with a Zytel sleeve.

The knife can be seen on the Tool Logic site here .

I have never handled a Tool Logic knife, are they any good? I hope someone on the Forum with first-hand experience would share with me their opinion, because I would have to order the knife through the mail, therefore would not have a chance to handle it prior to purchase.

Thanks,

Mike

P.S. I need another knife like an IRS Audit, but it is an addiction and this ones not that expensive. The SL Plier model is interesting also?

#207051 - 08/31/10 07:16 PM Re: Opinions on the Tool Logic SL Pro2 Combo Knife [Re: SwampDonkey]
Doug_SE_MI Offline

Loc: Michigan
I carry one as cubical inmate EDC, i.e. better than no knife/firesteel at all where I can't really carry the much in slacks pocket. It is convenient to have both in one package, along with a whistle (good not great) and light (odd/expensive battery size). Won't replace my Benchmade 710, a Swedish firesteel and Surefire E2E when I can carry them, but will do when I can't carry better.

I haven't really torture tested the blade, works fine for every day chores. But I carry a Redi-Edge too. It will turn most any flat piece of metal into a blade in a pinch.

#207161 - 09/02/10 02:58 PM Re: Opinions on the Tool Logic SL Pro2 Combo Knife [Re: Doug_SE_MI]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Thanks for the info Doug. I think I will give one a try. Mike

#207218 - 09/03/10 01:46 AM Re: Opinions on the Tool Logic SL Pro2 Combo Knife [Re: SwampDonkey]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MN, Land O' Lakes & Rivers ...
Looking forward to hearing how you like it. Judging by the lack of responses, few of us have tried them.

#207228 - 09/03/10 05:12 AM Re: Opinions on the Tool Logic SL Pro2 Combo Knife [Re: SwampDonkey]
boatman Offline
Addict

Loc: Michigan
I do not like the idea of having all your eggs in one basket.If you lose it you lost every thing.I would rather have separate items spread throughout my person.If I lst my knife,fire could still be made with my fire steel etc. etc.

BOATMAN
John

#207282 - 09/04/10 02:07 AM Re: Opinions on the Tool Logic SL Pro2 Combo Knife [Re: boatman]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Good thought John, not a problem for me as I am a Gear Junky and have lots of other tools/means on me.

I watched a few You-Tube video reviews on this multitool, most called it OK but it was best discribed as a "do'er of all, but master of none". This is because it is: thick, heavy, has a medium quality 1/2 serrated blade, low sound whistle, short/thin ferro rod and hard to find replacement flashlight batteries.

I think it would serve me best as a coat pocket back-up to my seperate, higher quality EDC items.

It will be a good Christmas gift to me from my kids as they never know what outdoor gear to buy their picky father.

Mike

#207284 - 09/04/10 02:16 AM Re: Opinions on the Tool Logic SL Pro2 Combo Knife [Re: SwampDonkey]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
I haven't used one of these, so I can't really comment directly, but I do notice that both MEC in Canada and Lee Valley Tools carry the earlier, more basic version of this item (psst, buy from MEC, $25). Neither outfit is known for selling junk.

Good idea about the Christmas gift. I'd rather have this than soap on a rope or inspirational messages to stick on my wall.

Also, it wouldn't be a bad gift idea for someone who would otherwise carry nothing at all. Just show 'em how to use it as an old skool 'church key!' We still have something to teach those young whippersnappers. Lots of those gorgeous microbrews use non-screw-top bottles. And no, kiddo, there isn't an app for that.

Edited by dougwalkabout (09/04/10 02:17 AM)

#207292 - 09/04/10 01:25 PM Re: Opinions on the Tool Logic SL Pro2 Combo Knife [Re: dougwalkabout]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Hey Doug,

I also am a big MEC fan but prefer the Pro model of this knife because of the stronger SS frame instead of Zytel. It also has an LED light on the opposite end of the firesteel. I think these 2 options are worth the $12 increase, but the Pro version is also larger, and heavier.

Improvised "Church Key" that brings back memories, how else did guys like us open stubbies at a bush party back in the "70's.

I hear ya about gifts. I am not easy to buy for because the equipment I actually use is very specific to the task I am doing. Better if I pick it out/or order what I really need rather than have it be a surprise and it gathers dust in the closet. I do tend to get calls from my hunting partners wives each year so they can get their husbands what they really need/want.

Mike

#207295 - 09/04/10 01:50 PM Re: Opinions on the Tool Logic SL Pro2 Combo Knife [Re: dougwalkabout]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
Originally Posted By: dougwalkabout

Also, it wouldn't be a bad gift idea for someone who would otherwise carry nothing at all. Just show 'em how to use it as an old skool 'church key!' We still have something to teach those young whippersnappers. Lots of those gorgeous microbrews use non-screw-top bottles. And no, kiddo, there isn't an app for that.

Originally Posted By: SwampDonkey

Improvised "Church Key" that brings back memories, how else did guys like us open stubbies at a bush party back in the "70's.

That is what the latch mechanism on a car door is for. . . .

RIP OBG

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Phaedrus), 318 Guests and 42 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
09/01/24 05:57 PM
Best TSA Safe Multitool
by Doug_Ritter
08/31/24 02:57 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
08/24/24 11:08 PM
Alaskan attacked by a bear and shot
by Phaedrus
08/23/24 07:43 AM
Woman Lost 4 Days in Colorado Mountains Is Rescued
by dougwalkabout
08/22/24 10:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.