Loc: Southern California
Thanks, Sheriff. lol

#206409 - 08/18/10 10:03 AM Re: My Cold Fusion Reactor [Re: Blast]
roberttheiii Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Connecticut, USA
Originally Posted By: Blast
Originally Posted By: Byrd_Huntr
Let's see........... a di-still-er, a five gallon bucket of sour mash, a crate of mason jars...what could you brew up with that?:)

A very long stay in federal prison.

-Blast

Maybe with prior offenses or a massive operation. Otherwise I doubt if it'd be that long. That said, home distillation of liquor is illegal! Oddly, I don't think making your own race care fuel is illegal everywhere: http://running_on_alcohol.tripod.com/.

Sort of seems like a double standard to me.

#206415 - 08/18/10 11:44 AM Re: My Cold Fusion Reactor [Re: roberttheiii]
pezhead Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Minnesota
Didn't Opie find one in a shed that made flowers?

#206419 - 08/18/10 01:34 PM Re: My Cold Fusion Reactor [Re: Blast]
kmat Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Spring, Texas
Blast,
Say it isn't so! shocked

#206420 - 08/18/10 02:03 PM Re: My Cold Fusion Reactor [Re: roberttheiii]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Originally Posted By: roberttheiii
Originally Posted By: Blast
Originally Posted By: Byrd_Huntr
Let's see........... a di-still-er, a five gallon bucket of sour mash, a crate of mason jars...what could you brew up with that?:)

A very long stay in federal prison.

-Blast

Maybe with prior offenses or a massive operation. Otherwise I doubt if it'd be that long. That said, home distillation of liquor is illegal! Oddly, I don't think making your own race care fuel is illegal everywhere: http://running_on_alcohol.tripod.com/.

Sort of seems like a double standard to me.

Actually, US government regulations on producing your own ethanol fuel are very strict, including minimum limits on the acres of land the still must be located along with distance from other buildings and a slew of other stuff. In the end, you need to have a fairly large farm to meet all their laws. I learned this several years ago when I worked with a company to try and develop solar-powered stills for making fuel ethanol. In the end the regulations made the market for these stills so small that it wasn't worth producing them. frown

-Blast

Edited by Blast (08/18/10 02:04 PM)
Edit Reason: spelling
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#206435 - 08/18/10 05:39 PM Re: My Cold Fusion Reactor [Re: Blast]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Blast, funny you should mention biofuels since I had just run across this article:

Scottish scientists develop whiskey biofuel

They use the waste products of whiskey production to make the ethanol--whiskey plus fuel. They can have their cake and eat it, too.

#206448 - 08/18/10 07:48 PM Re: My Cold Fusion Reactor [Re: Arney]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

I would certainly check on the law but as I understand it as long as you keep production under a set limit, I understood it to be anything less than fifteen gallons, but be sure to double check, and your not selling it, your legal.

Of course if you cross that line in amount and for sales the regulations get to be complicated and penalties severe. But even then, as I understand it, if you denature the alcohol by adding various ingredients to make it unsuitable for drinking, you can avoid having to get alcohol tax stamps as you would for liquor.

#206463 - 08/18/10 11:40 PM Re: My Cold Fusion Reactor [Re: Art_in_FL]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Originally Posted By: Art_in_FL
I would certainly check on the law but as I understand it as long as you keep production under a set limit, I understood it to be anything less than fifteen gallons, but be sure to double check, and your not selling it, your legal.

Of course if you cross that line in amount and for sales the regulations get to be complicated and penalties severe. But even then, as I understand it, if you denature the alcohol by adding various ingredients to make it unsuitable for drinking, you can avoid having to get alcohol tax stamps as you would for liquor.

From the government's website:

Spirits

You cannot produce spirits for beverage purposes without paying taxes and without prior approval of paperwork to operate a distilled spirits plant. [See 26 U.S.C. 5601 & 5602 for some of the criminal penalties.] There are numerous requirements that must be met that make it impractical to produce spirits for personal or beverage use. Some of these requirements are paying special tax, filing an extensive application, filing a bond, providing adequate equipment to measure spirits, providing suitable tanks and pipelines, providing a separate building (other than a dwelling) and maintaining detailed records, and filing reports. All of these requirements are listed in 27 CFR Part 19.

Spirits may be produced for non-beverage purposes for fuel use only without payment of tax, but you also must file an application, receive TTB's approval, and follow requirements, such as construction, use, records and reports.

In other words: No.

This makes me very sad.
-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#206466 - 08/19/10 12:36 AM Re: My Cold Fusion Reactor [Re: Art_in_FL]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MN, Land O' Lakes & Rivers ...
Originally Posted By: Art_in_FL
............ as I understand it, if you denature the alcohol by adding various ingredients to make it unsuitable for drinking, you can avoid having to get alcohol tax stamps as you would for liquor.

What if, in the spirit of the new Green Economy, I just let my kidneys add those 'various ingredients'? The finished product is sure to be a hit with some Tour De France racers, and NFL fullbacks.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 700 Guests and 35 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
09/01/24 05:57 PM
Best TSA Safe Multitool
by Doug_Ritter
08/31/24 02:57 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
08/24/24 11:08 PM
Alaskan attacked by a bear and shot
by Phaedrus
08/23/24 07:43 AM
Woman Lost 4 Days in Colorado Mountains Is Rescued
by dougwalkabout
08/22/24 10:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.