Dogs going ballistic whenever someone approaches their territory seems to be pretty normal - in fact, I think many dog breeds require pretty intense training NOT to behave this way. From the barking dog's point of view, anybody walking on the sidewalk (straddling their territory) are successfully chasen away by his bold barking. So each time you pass that property you are in fact strengthening and rewarding those dog's bullying behaviour... now THAT is a great joy to consider, isn't it?

With all the barking and scary dogs around - how many stories have you heard about dogs leaving their boundaries to attack someone outside those boundaries? I've heard plenty of stories about dog attacks, but none with that scenario. An actual attack is not likely, but since the consequences are so dire we discuss it anyway, right?

I am not at all competent by dogs, but I feel at liberty to rehash some advice from some dog trainer:

1) Your best bet is in fact to act like a human in charge. Command presence, command voice and simple commands like STOP and the like. You are enacting the I AM HUMAN AND THEREFOR VASTLY SUPERIOR TO YOU - role.

2) Forget running - you can't outrun 'em. Running is for prey, not for commanding humans. Which do you want to be?

3) Augmenting your command voice and presence with a stick (or a beefy pole) is not such a bad idea. Or spray.

4) I don't think a pole would help much against an actual attack, though. Dogs move fast and you probably only have one chance of actually hitting the dog before he has performed his attack (depending on size and built, the attack is probably a combination of slamming you off balance, biting and twisting).

5) Spray is probably pretty effective against an attack, though.

6) Without firearms or spray, you may probably - with instructions and training - have some success defending / deflecting ONE attacking dog. Against a pack of dogs, forget it.

7) Knife? Too close for comfort, I would say - it would require you to let the dog bite you. Maybe with one dog - but a pack? Forget it. You'd probably need something like a 3 foot cavalry sable, and I don't think that is neither legal nor socially acceptable. Even in California.

Edited by MostlyHarmless (08/13/10 08:41 PM)