Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#205503 - 08/03/10 05:33 AM Re: 1 dead after ignoring B.C. evacuation order [Re: dougwalkabout]
Roarmeister Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada
Originally Posted By: dougwalkabout
Here's a better story:
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/nati...article1659537/

There's also a segway regarding the two water bomber pilots that lost their lives. These guys were real fliers, not content to 'drive the bus,' and I have immense respect for them. Condolences to the families.

My nephew is on his third season on a Helitack (HAC1R) team in Northern Alberta and was actually supposed to be in BC to lend assistance but didn't make it down to Edmonton for his flight out. He is waiting for the call to join them. These young men have to be under 180 lbs due to helicopter weight restrictions with their 50# of gear. He must be just barely under that limit... These guys don't make a whole pile of money, they do it because of the thrill and adrenalin rush of being the first in to a fire and rappelling down (Alberta doesn't use parajumpers anymore). This is definitely not a safe profession to be in but he wanted to be a Calgary city firefighter - I told him to get some seasoning by getting in the forest fire side. Hope I don't regret my advice to him.

#205512 - 08/03/10 09:41 AM Re: 1 dead after ignoring B.C. evacuation order [Re: Roarmeister]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I have been on the fire line in about a dozen wildfires and close to many others over the years. Wildfire is nothing to mess around with. In bad conditions, they spread with unbelievable speed.

If a mandatory evacuation order is issued, staying in your home is a very bad call. Some do and survive. Others don't.

My home in Southern Cal has been seriously threatened by fire on two occasions. Both times I have had the car loaded up and ready to drive away, all of this before the any voluntary or mandatory notices. We have a priority check list which does allow us to get the important items loaded. The rest is just "stuff" and can be replaced. The house is insured and can be rebuilt. Saving the lives of my loved ones and our pets ranks way ahead of any of the material loot we have accumulated.

#205524 - 08/03/10 03:09 PM Re: 1 dead after ignoring B.C. evacuation order [Re: dougwalkabout]
Compugeek Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: San Diego, CA
Originally Posted By: dougwalkabout
There's also a segway regarding the two water bomber pilots that lost their lives. These guys were real fliers, not content to 'drive the bus,' and I have immense respect for them. Condolences to the families.

"Segway" is the one person self-balancing vehicle. "Segue" (pronounced exactly the same) is a transition from one story to another. The name of the vehicle is a pun on the "transition" meaning of segue.

(Proofreading is part of my job, and I apologize for any offense.)

And that is a better article.

Edited by Compugeek (08/03/10 03:09 PM)

#205525 - 08/03/10 03:33 PM Re: 1 dead after ignoring B.C. evacuation order [Re: Compugeek]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Originally Posted By: Compugeek
"Segue" (pronounced exactly the same) is a transition from one story to another. The name of the vehicle is a pun on the "transition" meaning of segue.

Bloody 'eck, you caught me! You're exactly right. blush

#205545 - 08/03/10 07:11 PM Re: 1 dead after ignoring B.C. evacuation order [Re: dougwalkabout]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
... and I just learned something new. I have never heard the word "segue". I guessed what it meant by context, even though it was misspelled as that two-wheeled rolling vehicle.

#205546 - 08/03/10 07:27 PM Re: 1 dead after ignoring B.C. evacuation order [Re: haertig]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

The board meeting for the 2 wheeled contraption must have been hilarious.

'Lets call it Seque.'

'What the hell is Seque.'

'Well its seque, the transition from one story to another, its a perfect allegory for this revolutionary form of human transportation for those that can't be bothered or too lazy to walk'

'But folks won't understand!'

'Hmm, lets call it Segway instead'

'Great, that's settled then!'

The traditional method of naming high technology products has moved on a little.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uK6pPw1pGEE

#205551 - 08/03/10 08:09 PM Re: 1 dead after ignoring B.C. evacuation order [Re: Teslinhiker]
ducktapeguy Offline
Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: Teslinhiker
A tragic lesson on why evacuation orders should always be heeded...

I may be a little slow, but what's the lesson here?

Did anyone else besides Doug actually read the article? The guy's death had nothing to do with the evacuation, I'm not even sure why it was mentioned. The title of the article would have been slightly more accurate if it had read "1 dead after heeding evacuation orders". From the way it sounds you could pick any number or random events and tie it to his death, it could have been called "1 dead after drinking his morning coffee". Seems like it was just a freak accident which just happened to coincide with an evacuation order at the time.

#205552 - 08/03/10 09:18 PM Re: 1 dead after ignoring B.C. evacuation order [Re: ducktapeguy]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Yes, I noticed that, too.

Maybe the lesson is, if it's important enough to evacuate the area, maybe it's important enough not to stop to cut firewood on the way out.

I was responding more to the other 50 people in the area who thought standing in the way of a wildfire was a good idea.

Sue

#205571 - 08/04/10 02:29 PM Re: 1 dead after ignoring B.C. evacuation order [Re: Susan]
Compugeek Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: San Diego, CA
I'm too lazy this morning to go back and read it again. Does it even say whether they were still within the evac area when they stopped to cut wood?

#205574 - 08/04/10 03:36 PM Re: 1 dead after ignoring B.C. evacuation order [Re: Compugeek]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Yes. Emergency crews had to go into the evac area to pull them out. (Gives head a shake.)

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 580 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
israfaceVity, Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall
5369 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Use of mirror, helicopter pilot notices
by Phaedrus
10/03/24 05:15 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
10/01/24 12:34 AM
The price of gold
by brandtb
09/27/24 07:40 PM
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.