The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#206075 - 08/13/10 03:50 PM Re: Cable or Satellite? [Re: MartinFocazio]
CAL Offline
Stranger

Loc: Somewhere between lost and fou...
When I lived in Louisiana, I had Comcast cable and LIKED it, more for Internet connectivity but, the TV wasn’t bad either. I don’t remember it ever going out.
Where I live now, rural western Arkansas, cable is not available nor is DSL. What I do have Dish Satellite for Television and use an air card for Internet. These work OK but, I find the Satellite is more expensive and goes out quite often. We get some pretty bad electrical storms with Tornados. When one of these show up the satellite goes out, usually when the weather guy says “Tornados are in the area and on the ground headed for …… Acquiring Satellite Signal” If I had the choice I would kick Satellite to the curb and go for Cable everything.

Just my opinion for my area.

#206085 - 08/13/10 05:08 PM Re: Cable or Satellite? [Re: CAL]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
Originally Posted By: CAL
When I lived in Louisiana, I had Comcast cable and LIKED it, more for Internet connectivity but, the TV wasn’t bad either. I don’t remember it ever going out.

My cable never went out when the industry had some analog, that is, before the industry went all digital. Just a note, you may be talking about when cable had some analog feeds, which was only about a year ago.

Today, with all digital, large imperfections in the line are difficult for a set-top box to rectify. A cable company (e.g., Comcast) can no longer get away with too many line imperfections in the cable system. It's like when a DVD is dirty inside a DVD player. The video usually stalls. In contrast, an analog VCR will keep the video rolling, imperfections and all.

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
June
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online
0 registered (), 126 Guests and 32 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
06/09/24 07:45 PM
EDC Reduction
by paulr
06/04/24 10:30 AM
Recent Signal Mirror Successes - more wanted
by paulr
06/03/24 08:35 AM
Hoover Stew
by dougwalkabout
05/26/24 03:03 AM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/23/24 06:24 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/17/24 03:49 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
05/16/24 09:49 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.