Originally Posted By: xbanker
Your initial gear list includes Sangean DT-180 AM/FM radio. Since information is king during emergency, and timely travel-route info is particularly crucial for you (identifying open bridges), would you be better served by substituting a small handheld multi-band receiver (providing access to more than just AM/FM ... police, fire, emergency responders).

Others living in your area can better comment on real-situation benefit, or does it merely sound good 'on paper?'

I had no idea that scanners were so small. I am less sure about the $300 price tag, but I can certainly see using it for a lot more than just getting home. One reason I did choose the Sangean DT-180 was for the small size, standard batteries, and great battery life. It is hard to tell from the pictures of the rx7, but it looks like it is about five times the volume and twice the weight as the DT-180. Also I can't tell if the AA battery pack replaces the internal rechargeable battery or is an external add-on. I do fully agree that I would prefer all the information I could get. Based on size and price I may rule it out for a GHB, but might be a good addition to my BOB/BOV. Are there other cheaper and/or smaller portable scanners out there? Don't know anything about this area. Thoughts from others on size/price/info trade-offs of a portable scanner for a GHB?