Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#205583 - 08/04/10 06:11 PM Re: 1 dead after ignoring B.C. evacuation order [Re: Teslinhiker]
xbanker Offline
Addict

Loc: Anthem, AZ USA
In my view, this tragedy was connected to the fire and evacuation order, albeit indirectly.

And no, I'm not remotely suggesting the man should've paid with his life for having made a questionable decision. We're intelligent people here, but we've all exercised questionable judgment, often with consequences. Examining the facts surrounding a tragedy doesn't automatically imply the victim somehow 'deserved' his fate.

No, he didn't 'ignore' the evacuation order. He left his property. Did he comply with the order? No. He stopped within the evacuation zone to engage in a non-essential activity. BTW, one account I read (haven't independently verified) says the accident location was within one kilometer of the active blaze.

It wouldn't be unreasonable to assume that because of proximity to the fire, the victim was rushing his tree-felling activity to stay ahead of the fire, and in doing so, failed to observe safe practices. Hence, the tree falling on him.

So, the lesson(s) here? One might be that in a survival situation -- and this was a survival situation -- consequences of decisions are often greatly magnified, and need to be carefully considered before acting.

#205618 - 08/05/10 12:31 AM Re: 1 dead after ignoring B.C. evacuation order [Re: Hikin_Jim]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
Originally Posted By: Hikin_Jim

Bro, I apolgize. Didn't mean to offend. Perhaps I rushed to judgement or made assumptions that I shouldn't have.

Usually, in my area, the people who defy orders really don't have any idea of what they're getting into and wind up putting firefighters who have to rescue them at risk. I consider that a poor choice.

HJ

I apologize also. Today after seeing a person who I respect narrowly miss a freak workplace accident (less then 3 feet from me) that could of easily killed him, it really puts into perspective that the little petty things really do not matter. The things that really matter is he was able to go home to his family today...

Teslinhiker.

John Lubbock

#205625 - 08/05/10 02:29 PM Re: 1 dead after ignoring B.C. evacuation order [Re: dougwalkabout]
Compugeek Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: San Diego, CA
Originally Posted By: dougwalkabout
Yes. Emergency crews had to go into the evac area to pull them out. (Gives head a shake.)

Thanks.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 792 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
israfaceVity, Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall
5369 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Use of mirror, helicopter pilot notices
by Phaedrus
10/03/24 05:15 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
10/01/24 12:34 AM
The price of gold
by brandtb
09/27/24 07:40 PM
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.