Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#205434 - 08/02/10 01:38 PM Re: Just another hiking day in the high country.. [Re: Richlacal]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
Originally Posted By: Richlacal
The Browning on the pines,It appears that possibly the Bark-Beetles have made it to B.C.,Am I Right?Those darn Bugs dehydrate trees faster than any drought ever could,hence all the fires.That is Very Beautiful Country,regardless!

Yes you are correct. The mountain pine beetle has been around here for years and has killed millions of trees. In many areas, as far as the eye can see, there are huge swaths (1000's of acres) of brown dead trees caused by the beetle. It is almost unfathomable to believe that such a small beetle can wreck so much havoc.

These dead trees do contribute to forest fire situations, however right now the biggest problem is lack of rain. Any little rain in the summer months is usually accompanied by thunder/lightning which then causes more fires...it is a viscoius cycle that does not usually end until mid to late September when the rains are heavy and more frequent enough to slow the fires so that the crews can get them under control or the fires die out naturally.

John Lubbock

#205441 - 08/02/10 02:08 PM Re: Just another hiking day in the high country.. [Re: Teslinhiker]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
Grrr. I hate those things. They seem like they're everywhere I go. They've decimated trees here in California. I rember huge swaths of brown in the Colorado Rockies when I visited there. Now, they're in Canada too. Grrr.

HJ

#205649 - 08/06/10 12:43 AM Re: Just another hiking day in the high country.. [Re: Teslinhiker]
chickenlittle Offline

Loc: Canada
Since Hiking Jim asked and you answered him about the 30/30 rule I thought I would add a link to the National Weather Service page on lightening safety.
http://www.srh.noaa.gov/jetstream/lightning/lightning_safety.htm
It is just intended as info for anybody who hasn't heard of it already.

#205670 - 08/06/10 10:02 PM Re: Just another hiking day in the high country.. [Re: chickenlittle]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Good advice, and I thank you for posting it, but its directive to seek shelter won't do me much good as a hiker where there's no shelter to be had.

The advice I've heard for hikers is:
1) Stay the heck off of the heights in a thunderstorm. Plan your hike such that you start early enough to be off the heights before noon. Thunderstorm activity tends to be at its highest in the afternoon.
2) Don't take cover under an isolated tree. An isolated tree is a target for lightning. Take cover in a grove of trees, preferably a grove that has trees of a relatively uniform height.
3) Don't shelter under rocks or in shallow caves. Rocks and caves can intensify the lightning.
4) Spread your group out so that a lightning strike won't affect everyone simultaneously. If one person is hurt, the remaining members of the group can render aid. CPR skills would be very helpful if someone were to be struck by lightning but not killed outright.
5) Sit on top of your pack. Let no part of you touch the ground if you can avoid it.

That's the standard advice I've heard. Anyone else have tips?

HJ

#205675 - 08/06/10 11:15 PM Re: Just another hiking day in the high country.. [Re: Hikin_Jim]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Hikin_Jim

The advice I've heard for hikers is:
1) Stay the heck off of the heights in a thunderstorm. Plan your hike such that you start early enough to be off the heights before noon. Thunderstorm activity tends to be at its highest in the afternoon.
2) Don't take cover under an isolated tree. An isolated tree is a target for lightning. Take cover in a grove of trees, preferably a grove that has trees of a relatively uniform height.
3) Don't shelter under rocks or in shallow caves. Rocks and caves can intensify the lightning.
4) Spread your group out so that a lightning strike won't affect everyone simultaneously. If one person is hurt, the remaining members of the group can render aid. CPR skills would be very helpful if someone were to be struck by lightning but not killed outright.
5) Sit on top of your pack. Let no part of you touch the ground if you can avoid it.

That's the standard advice I've heard. Anyone else have tips?
HJ

Here are a few I learned over the years.

- If you have trekking poles (aluminum or carbon fiber) ditch them at least 50 feet away and do NOT leave them standing and upright in the ground and also ensure that the poles ends are not directly facing you.

- If on a mountain bike, drop it and get at least 50' away from it
- Ditch (if possible) any type of mountain climbing gear. This not practical if your climbing out on face of a cliff that you cannot readily get down off the cliff face.

- Sitting on a backpack that has any type of fuel stored in it is NOT recommended....self explanatory.

John Lubbock

#205680 - 08/07/10 01:13 AM Re: Just another hiking day in the high country.. [Re: Teslinhiker]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Teslinhiker

Here are a few I learned over the years.

- If you have trekking poles (aluminum or carbon fiber) ditch them at least 50 feet away and do NOT leave them standing and upright in the ground and also ensure that the poles ends are not directly facing you.

- If on a mountain bike, drop it and get at least 50' away from it
- Ditch (if possible) any type of mountain climbing gear. This not practical if your climbing out on face of a cliff that you cannot readily get down off the cliff face.

- Sitting on a backpack that has any type of fuel stored in it is NOT recommended....self explanatory.
Backpacker Magazine says that the trekking poles thing isn't really that big of an issue.

http://www.backpacker.com/august_2000_survival_lightning_superstition_tips/nature/919

http://www.backpacker.com/june_2001_skills_survival_lightning/nature/2105

HJ

#205682 - 08/07/10 02:59 AM Re: Just another hiking day in the high country.. [Re: Hikin_Jim]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Hikin_Jim

I am not a big fan of those in theory vs in actual practice discussions.

I'll keep ditching the poles. The way I look at, any way to lessen the odds of being fried is always a plus!

John Lubbock

#205683 - 08/07/10 03:04 AM Re: Just another hiking day in the high country.. [Re: Teslinhiker]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Agreed, particularly since the main advice in the 2nd article is to get into a car or "substantial" building. Gee, what practical advice that is when you're on a week long back pack and a lightning storm hits when your three days from the nearest trail head. Maybe that would work for car camping, but it's clueless advice for horse packers, hikers, canoe enthusiasts, kayakers, backpackers, cross country skiers, hunters, etc. Hello?! What part of "outdoors" don't you understand? lol

HJ

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 564 Guests and 30 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
09/01/24 05:57 PM
Best TSA Safe Multitool
by Doug_Ritter
08/31/24 02:57 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
08/24/24 11:08 PM
Alaskan attacked by a bear and shot
by Phaedrus
08/23/24 07:43 AM
Woman Lost 4 Days in Colorado Mountains Is Rescued
by dougwalkabout
08/22/24 10:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.