Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#205163 - 07/26/10 07:04 PM LBE (load bearing equipment) my new favorite carry
DavidEnoch Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Texas
Every summer for the last 9 years we have spent a week or two in Colorado on vacation. We stay at 10,000 feet and the hiking is all up from there. I am always trying different gear set-ups. I keep hoping for a system that will drag my butt up the mountains but no luck so far. Anyway, this past spring I picked up a surplus LBE which is a military web belt system with shoulder harness. My kit came with two canteens, a canteen cup, two M16 magazine pouches, and a butt pack. I love the setup and believe that it is my favorite to date. I like that it is cooler than wearing a backpack. It doesn't seem to be in the way much. The belt will carry part of the weight which helps. I used the magazine pouches and a very small and light weight shoulder bag to carry things I wanted close at hand, canteens full of water, and the butt pack to carry the rest of my gear. It has just the right amount of room for a complete day kit with room for plenty of emergency gear. It would also be easy to use it for overnight trips.

If you haven't tried this system, check it out at your local surplus store.

David Enoch

#205165 - 07/26/10 07:53 PM Re: LBE (load bearing equipment) my new favorite carry [Re: DavidEnoch]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
LBE's aren't bad. Used 'em enough when I was "in". I found the fanny pack a little small for my liking, but if it works for what you carry, cool.

The only problem with military gear is that it's pretty heavy when compared to civilian products, but if it's working for you, why not?

I've heard others say they like the "off the back" approach, particularly in hot weather.

HJ

#205175 - 07/27/10 01:56 PM Re: LBE (load bearing equipment) my new favorite carry [Re: Hikin_Jim]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
Very nice. I use a modified version of this system today. For day use its not a bad way to go. Good job.

#205176 - 07/27/10 03:04 PM Re: LBE (load bearing equipment) my new favorite carry [Re: comms]
Glock-A-Roo Offline
Old Hand

It's an option worth exploring, especially for long day treks and more remote situations where you must have a certain minimum set of gear on your person even if you lose your pack (i.e. river crossings in unforgiving terrain). In steamy jungles, soldiers will go to great lengths to avoid having a rucksack on their back since having that area clear makes a real difference in comfort level in the heat. Sometimes a ruck can't be avoided but they try.

If you are careful and discriminating you can find military style LBE that is reasonably lightweight. You can also find military LBE from which you can cut away heavy and unnecessary components. The more modern pieces use lightweight plastic (Fastex/National Molding) hardware instead of metals.

Many of the current top-flite military gear makers (Eagle Industries, Mayflower, ATS, Tactical Tailor, etc) are using 500d fabric instead of 1000d. 500d provides about 70-80% of the strength of 1000d at half the weight. These same makers are also using smarter designs that avoid needless overbuilding, excessive fabric and unnecessary features, further lightening the gear.

#205177 - 07/27/10 03:11 PM Re: LBE (load bearing equipment) my new favorite carry [Re: comms]
billvann Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NE Illinois, USA (42:19:08N 08...
Though not an LBE or fanny pack, the Molly Mac Pack looks to be an interesting option, especially to those that prefer military gear and already have an investment in mollie gear.

http://www.mollymacpack.com/index.html

As their website says,

"Simple. Strong. Lightweight. Modular.
The nearly indestructible Molly Mac Pack carries stuff sacks, MOLLE pouches, trail maintenance tools, or field dressed deer. It's a day pack, a three day pack, or a coast to coast pack. You configure it to fit your needs."

It's basically a back board with mollie compatable straps where you can attach or strap stuff sacks in whatever configuration meets your needs.

#205178 - 07/27/10 03:13 PM Re: LBE (load bearing equipment) my new favorite carry [Re: billvann]
oldsoldier Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MA
I have a Mountainsmith pack that is set up essentially the same, except water bottle holders are on the outside of the pack. Keeps everything off the back though.

#205209 - 07/28/10 03:07 AM Re: LBE (load bearing equipment) my new favorite carry [Re: DavidEnoch]
spuddate Offline

Loc: Southern California
David Enoch,
Please consider TrueNorthGear. They build great gear. I have had great luck with their LoadMonster. Room for two Nalgene bottles with metal cups, lots of room for gear, and straps to add more gear. Their method of attaching shoulder straps keeps the "butt" pack from bouncing, which makes hiking much more comfortable.

Spud

#205332 - 07/31/10 07:33 AM Re: LBE (load bearing equipment) my new favorite carry [Re: spuddate]
Ramsey Offline
Stranger

Loc: Northern CA
Earlier this year I put together a MOLLE II pack that is very similar to the rifleman set up. When it is complete and full it is pretty damned heavy, but you will rarely need it's full capacity.

As it's name implies it is VERY modular. Components can be arranged in a huge number of variations to accomodate just about any kind of trek you want to take.

It is very durable and the woodland camo makes it a great hike-in hunting pack. I would have no problem strapping a 100 lb blacktail to the poly frame and tearing through the Trinity Alps.

All in all, I am a fan. But it is definitely not for superlight backpacking.

E

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 323 Guests and 46 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
09/01/24 05:57 PM
Best TSA Safe Multitool
by Doug_Ritter
08/31/24 02:57 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
08/24/24 11:08 PM
Alaskan attacked by a bear and shot
by Phaedrus
08/23/24 07:43 AM
Woman Lost 4 Days in Colorado Mountains Is Rescued
by dougwalkabout
08/22/24 10:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.