Originally Posted By: oldsoldier

I gotta ask though-how do you cut the SAME fingertip off TWICE??? laugh

It was about 15 years apart. The first time I was a young pup just starting out on the line. The second time I was in a hurry and just let my focus wander a bit. Considering how much time I spend with a knife in my hand it's a wonder I don't get cut more. In part it's simply that my technique has improved over the years. Even so, no matter how careful you are you will make a mistake. It's just how are brains are wired.

The time I get cut the most when I'm sharpening. Really that makes sense; I'm handling the knives a lot and they're the sharpest they'll ever be when I take them off the final stone. Testing the edge is a danger point but I'd say wiping off the swarf and cleaing up is probably the most hazardous time. I rarely get a bad one this way, it's usually just a lot of nicks.

I'm mindful of infection, both at home and in the field. I try to always irrigate the wound and keep it covered. A lot of the time I'll use a triple antiobiotic cream but lately I've been wondering if that's not worse in the long run than just using water.